Morgan Stanley sues Ex-FrontPoint manager over insider charges
November 10, 2012 2:28 PM EST
In a complaint filed in Manhattan federal court on October 31, Morgan Stanley sued ex-FrontPoint Partners hedge fund manager Joseph "Chip" Skowron over the funds the bank paid to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. The lawsuit also called for unspecified compensatory and punitive damages.
Doctor-turned-stock picker Skowron pleaded guilty in August to trading stock of Human Genome Sciences Inc in 2008 based on non-public information he admitted to having received from a consultant for the biotech company, who also pleaded guilty to insider trading charges.
Skowron was sentenced to five years in prison and ordered to forfeit $5 million.
"Beyond the harm attendant to having one of its managing directors plead guilty to serious criminal conduct, the firm expended its own reputational capital by defending Skowron during the years it believed, based entirely on his misrepresentation, that he had not violated the law," the complaint said.
Morgan Stanley - which acquired FrontPoint in 2006 - had sought nearly $45 million from Skowron over his fraud, but a U.S. judge in March said the bank was not entitled to recoup the $33 million SEC payment.
Manhattan federal court judge Denise Cote instead ordered Skowron to pay $10.2 million in restitution to his former employer. Skowron has appealed that order.
Lawyers for Morgan Stanley and for Skowron did not immediately return calls seeking comment.
(Reporting By Basil Katz; Editing by Michael Perry)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Nuclear War: Putin Certain To Launch Battle To Avoid Corruption Charges, Whistleblower Claims