Syrian National Council Meets In Doha; Assad Denies Civil War In Syria
By Maya Shwayder | November 10, 2012 12:18 PM EST
The Syrian National Council, the political cousin of the Free Syrian Army, met on Friday in Doha, Qatar to elect its leadership and attempt to establish some form of unity on the heels of reports about flagging support for the rebel cause in Syria.
The meeting was convened to elect an 11-member executive bureau: Mohammed Faruq Tayfor of the Muslim Brotherhood was elected Vice President, and George Sabra, a Christian, was elected President. The former head of the SNC, Abdulbaset Sida, stayed on as a member of the bureau, Al-Jazeera reported.
No women were included in the elections, Al-Jazeera's Dalal Mawad reported from Doha.
The Council formed in October 2011 after the beginning of the Arab Spring, to be an attempted opposition party to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's Baathist party. It is made up mostly of exiled Muslim Brotherhood party members, and has received support and recognition from most Western nations, including the U.S., the U.K., and France.
As the SNC met in Doha, in Damascus Assad continued to deny the country was in a state of civil war, and to deny that his government had committed any war crimes.
"We are fighting terrorism. We are implementing our constitution by protecting the Syrian people," Assad told Russia Today in an interview broadcast on Friday. "My enemy is terrorism and instability in Syria. The problem is not between me and my people."
Assad went on to claim that his government could finish the conflict "within weeks," if only the West would stop supporting the "terrorists." He added only "through the ballot boxes" would he agree to step down.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Ideological Support Swells for Scottish Independence
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch Wants Putin's Daughter Maria Deported to Russia From Holland
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Gaza Crisis: 695 Dead & 4,500 Injured, UN Accuses Israel of War Crimes
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales