Gold and Silver Finish Week Higher
By Eric McWhinnie | November 10, 2012 8:40 AM EST
On Friday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for December delivery increased $4.90 to settle at $1,730.90 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) jumped 36 cents to close at $32.60. Gold prices increased $55.70 on the week, while silver jumped $1.74.
Both precious metals climbed higher, despite China’s annual consumer inflation being reported at its lowest rate in 33 months. The nation’s consumer price index increased 1.7 percent from a year earlier in October, down from from 1.9 percent in September. Economists expected a rise of 1.9 percent.
Don’t Miss: Is Barrick Gold a Buy After Earnings?
The lower-than-expected inflation data renewed belief that Chinese officials could provide more stimulus to the economy. “The CPI I think came in a little bit lower than we expected and the market expected and further confirms that inflation is not a main concern for the government for now,” said Zhang Zhiwei, Chief China Economist at Nomura, according to Reuters. “So policy easing will likely continue for this quarter to support growth’s recovery. We don’t think they will cut interest rates for the rest of the year but we think they will probably keep the credit supply, the total social financing, at a high level for the coming months.”
By the end of the day, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) finished flat, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) edged 0.51 percent higher. Gold miners such as Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) and Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) both declined more than 1 percent. Silver Wheaton (NYSE:SLW) and Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) edged 0.52 percent and 0.33 percent lower, respectively.
Investor Insight: Is Gold Set to Benefit from Obama’s Re-Election?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6