Gold and Silver Finish Week Higher
By Eric McWhinnie | November 10, 2012 8:40 AM EST
On Friday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for December delivery increased $4.90 to settle at $1,730.90 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) jumped 36 cents to close at $32.60. Gold prices increased $55.70 on the week, while silver jumped $1.74.
Both precious metals climbed higher, despite China’s annual consumer inflation being reported at its lowest rate in 33 months. The nation’s consumer price index increased 1.7 percent from a year earlier in October, down from from 1.9 percent in September. Economists expected a rise of 1.9 percent.
Don’t Miss: Is Barrick Gold a Buy After Earnings?
The lower-than-expected inflation data renewed belief that Chinese officials could provide more stimulus to the economy. “The CPI I think came in a little bit lower than we expected and the market expected and further confirms that inflation is not a main concern for the government for now,” said Zhang Zhiwei, Chief China Economist at Nomura, according to Reuters. “So policy easing will likely continue for this quarter to support growth’s recovery. We don’t think they will cut interest rates for the rest of the year but we think they will probably keep the credit supply, the total social financing, at a high level for the coming months.”
By the end of the day, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) finished flat, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) edged 0.51 percent higher. Gold miners such as Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) and Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) both declined more than 1 percent. Silver Wheaton (NYSE:SLW) and Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) edged 0.52 percent and 0.33 percent lower, respectively.
Investor Insight: Is Gold Set to Benefit from Obama’s Re-Election?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People