Gold and Silver Finish Week Higher
By Eric McWhinnie | November 10, 2012 8:40 AM EST
On Friday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for December delivery increased $4.90 to settle at $1,730.90 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) jumped 36 cents to close at $32.60. Gold prices increased $55.70 on the week, while silver jumped $1.74.
Both precious metals climbed higher, despite China’s annual consumer inflation being reported at its lowest rate in 33 months. The nation’s consumer price index increased 1.7 percent from a year earlier in October, down from from 1.9 percent in September. Economists expected a rise of 1.9 percent.
Don’t Miss: Is Barrick Gold a Buy After Earnings?
The lower-than-expected inflation data renewed belief that Chinese officials could provide more stimulus to the economy. “The CPI I think came in a little bit lower than we expected and the market expected and further confirms that inflation is not a main concern for the government for now,” said Zhang Zhiwei, Chief China Economist at Nomura, according to Reuters. “So policy easing will likely continue for this quarter to support growth’s recovery. We don’t think they will cut interest rates for the rest of the year but we think they will probably keep the credit supply, the total social financing, at a high level for the coming months.”
By the end of the day, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) finished flat, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) edged 0.51 percent higher. Gold miners such as Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) and Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) both declined more than 1 percent. Silver Wheaton (NYSE:SLW) and Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) edged 0.52 percent and 0.33 percent lower, respectively.
Investor Insight: Is Gold Set to Benefit from Obama’s Re-Election?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- Worldwide Appetite for Gold Slumps 16% in 2Q 2014 – WGC
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop