Gold and Silver Finish Week Higher
By Eric McWhinnie | November 10, 2012 8:40 AM EST
On Friday, gold (NYSEARCA:GLD) futures for December delivery increased $4.90 to settle at $1,730.90 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) jumped 36 cents to close at $32.60. Gold prices increased $55.70 on the week, while silver jumped $1.74.
Both precious metals climbed higher, despite China’s annual consumer inflation being reported at its lowest rate in 33 months. The nation’s consumer price index increased 1.7 percent from a year earlier in October, down from from 1.9 percent in September. Economists expected a rise of 1.9 percent.
Don’t Miss: Is Barrick Gold a Buy After Earnings?
The lower-than-expected inflation data renewed belief that Chinese officials could provide more stimulus to the economy. “The CPI I think came in a little bit lower than we expected and the market expected and further confirms that inflation is not a main concern for the government for now,” said Zhang Zhiwei, Chief China Economist at Nomura, according to Reuters. “So policy easing will likely continue for this quarter to support growth’s recovery. We don’t think they will cut interest rates for the rest of the year but we think they will probably keep the credit supply, the total social financing, at a high level for the coming months.”
By the end of the day, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) finished flat, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) edged 0.51 percent higher. Gold miners such as Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) and Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) both declined more than 1 percent. Silver Wheaton (NYSE:SLW) and Endeavour Silver (NYSE:EXK) edged 0.52 percent and 0.33 percent lower, respectively.
Investor Insight: Is Gold Set to Benefit from Obama’s Re-Election?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China