Black Friday Approaches With Plenty Of Deals And Plenty Of Leaks
By Charles Poladian | November 10, 2012 7:55 AM EST
Black Friday, that day that gets thousands to line up in the cold for a chance at scoring some deep discounts, is fast approaching and many deals have already been leaked. Should retailers be concerned about these leaked deals in the weeks leading up to Black Friday?
Black Friday is one busy shopping day, occurring on Nov. 23. Thousands of shoppers will line up early in the morning to get their hands on heavily. discounted items, from big ticket items like televisions to clothing. Usually those deals are announced right before the big day in order to keep consumers buying instead of holding off because they know in a few weeks there will be a better deal.
In fact, it's that mentality that has led Time to speculate on the number of leaks that are flooding the Internet nearly three weeks before Black Friday. There are countless sites a consumer can turn to for leaked Black Friday deals and Time mentions a leaked Kmart flyer which features a Black Friday deal on a 42-inch Plasma RCA television for $199. If consumers knew the deals like the Kmart deal ahead of time, chances are they'll stop buying in the weeks before Black Friday.
According to Time, there are 30 different Black Friday ads that have appeared on the Internet although some of them could be fake, early drafts that will be revised later or just a mock-up. While it would be difficult to stop the deluge, some retailers do take legal actions on websites that feature leaked Black Friday ads. USA Today notes that Ace Hardware and Walmart have sent out cease and desist orders to websites posting Black Friday ads.
If the legal route doesn't work, retailers can, and do, announce Black Friday deals ahead of time on their own sites. Time mentions that Walmart and Lowes have already announced their Black Friday deals. By taking control of Black Friday leaks, retailers can get customers in the door and eager to shop at their store and not the competition's.
While brick and mortar stores will be flooded, e-retailers are taking advantage of online shopping. Amazon is taking advantage of Black Friday excitement by posting daily deals leading up to the big day which promises to feature even more deals, better discounts and a larger variety of items. Newegg has announced a similar strategy, focusing on weekend deals leading up to Black Friday. Newegg is also banking on Cyber Monday, where many shoppers can go online to find deals and not have to worry about lining up, as well as Encore Tuesday which will feature additional deals.
In some ways, it seems like retailers have resigned themselves to Black Friday leaks and rather get bogged down trying to stop the leaks, retailers are becoming pro-active, trying to control information, get consumers engaged and create a sense of excitement for their, and not the competition's, Black Friday deals.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Air Canada Expands Vancouver Boeing 787 Dreamliners To Beijing, Seoul, Shanghai, Tokyo-Narita Routes
- Canada Consumer Alert: Tim Hortons Prices Of Coffee, Sandwiches To Go Up Effective Nov 26
- Doomsday Seed Vault Safeguards More Marijuana Seeds
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports