Gold, Silver Futures Snap 4-Week Losing Skids
By jturbin | November 10, 2012 7:02 AM EST
Precious metals added to their recent gains on Friday, rising alongside other commodities despite further strength in the U.S. dollar.
COMEX gold futures – per the December contract – settled higher by $4.90, or 0.3%, at $1,730.90 per ounce. Silver futures for December delivery at the COMEX traded up by $0.36, or 1.1%, at $32.60 per ounce this afternoon.
With today’s rally, gold and silver extended their weekly gains to 3.3% and 5.7%, respectively. Furthermore, both metals snapped four-week losing streaks and posted their best such stretches since late August.
(For gold price forecasts, analysis and commentary visit GoldAlert Pro – http://pro.goldalert.com)
In contrast to the metals, shares of most gold and silver mining companies turned lower on Friday. The Philadelphia Gold & Silver (XAU) fell by 1.2% to 181.43, led by declines in IAMGOLD (IAG) and Coeur d’Alene Mines (CDE). Shares of IAG dropped by 2.3% to $15.40 while CDE slid 2.5% to $24.91.
However, despite today’s sell-off, the XAU remained higher this week by 1.4%. The XAU had been riding a two-week losing skid, and is on pace for its best week since September 17-21.
Among other precious metals, platinum futures climbed 1.1% to $1,559.40 per ounce while palladium dipped 0.5% to $611.05 per ounce. For the week, platinum and palladium closed with gains of 0.9% and 1.9%, respectively.
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Worldwide Appetite for Gold Slumps 16% in 2Q 2014 – WGC
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Two Weeks to Go Starting at $800 with New Phosphorus HealthKit Chip
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Bill Shorten Calls Tony Abbott 'Ineligible' To Lead Australia; Government Party-Room Leaks On Abbott'sTravel Entitlements