Lakers Coach Mike Brown Fired
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 10, 2012 6:19 AM EST
Los Angeles Lakers coach Mike Brown has been fired after the team got off to a 1-4 start this season.
USA Today reported that Brown’s agent, Warren Legarie, confirmed the news.
Sources told ESPN.com sportswriter Marc Stein that Lakers management was planning on using the team’s upcoming six-game homestand to assess Brown’s performance, but they ultimately decided in a unanimous decision that “the team wasn't heading in the right direction.”
Brown was just a month into his second season with the Lakers. Despite high expectations, the team has struggled during its last season. The Lakers finished 41-25 in Brown's first season, but the team lost to Oklahoma City Thunder in the second round of the NBA playoffs.
Brown stepped in as the Lakers coach in the summer of 2011 after Phil Jackson retired. In an $18 million deal, Brown's contract gave him three seasons -- with a team option in the fourth.
Ironically, NBA’s Hangtime blog noted that Lakers owner, Jim Buss, expressed confidence in Brown less than 48 hours ago ahead of his firing.
"I have no problems with Mike Brown at all," Buss said. "He just works too hard and he's too knowledgeable for this to be happening.
"So either the system is flawed or something's going on. Or, like the Triangle, it's very hard to pick up and understand. I'm not a basketball mind like he is or the players are, and the players are fine with it, so I just have to be patient."
The Lakers will play Golden State Friday night at the Staples Center.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- USA Defeats Lithuania, 96-68; Americans Advance To Championship Round Of 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers