Lakers Coach Mike Brown Fired
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 10, 2012 6:19 AM EST
Los Angeles Lakers coach Mike Brown has been fired after the team got off to a 1-4 start this season.
USA Today reported that Brown’s agent, Warren Legarie, confirmed the news.
Sources told ESPN.com sportswriter Marc Stein that Lakers management was planning on using the team’s upcoming six-game homestand to assess Brown’s performance, but they ultimately decided in a unanimous decision that “the team wasn't heading in the right direction.”
Brown was just a month into his second season with the Lakers. Despite high expectations, the team has struggled during its last season. The Lakers finished 41-25 in Brown's first season, but the team lost to Oklahoma City Thunder in the second round of the NBA playoffs.
Brown stepped in as the Lakers coach in the summer of 2011 after Phil Jackson retired. In an $18 million deal, Brown's contract gave him three seasons -- with a team option in the fourth.
Ironically, NBA’s Hangtime blog noted that Lakers owner, Jim Buss, expressed confidence in Brown less than 48 hours ago ahead of his firing.
"I have no problems with Mike Brown at all," Buss said. "He just works too hard and he's too knowledgeable for this to be happening.
"So either the system is flawed or something's going on. Or, like the Triangle, it's very hard to pick up and understand. I'm not a basketball mind like he is or the players are, and the players are fine with it, so I just have to be patient."
The Lakers will play Golden State Friday night at the Staples Center.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports