Lakers Coach Mike Brown Fired
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 10, 2012 6:19 AM EST
Los Angeles Lakers coach Mike Brown has been fired after the team got off to a 1-4 start this season.
USA Today reported that Brown’s agent, Warren Legarie, confirmed the news.
Sources told ESPN.com sportswriter Marc Stein that Lakers management was planning on using the team’s upcoming six-game homestand to assess Brown’s performance, but they ultimately decided in a unanimous decision that “the team wasn't heading in the right direction.”
Brown was just a month into his second season with the Lakers. Despite high expectations, the team has struggled during its last season. The Lakers finished 41-25 in Brown's first season, but the team lost to Oklahoma City Thunder in the second round of the NBA playoffs.
Brown stepped in as the Lakers coach in the summer of 2011 after Phil Jackson retired. In an $18 million deal, Brown's contract gave him three seasons -- with a team option in the fourth.
Ironically, NBA’s Hangtime blog noted that Lakers owner, Jim Buss, expressed confidence in Brown less than 48 hours ago ahead of his firing.
"I have no problems with Mike Brown at all," Buss said. "He just works too hard and he's too knowledgeable for this to be happening.
"So either the system is flawed or something's going on. Or, like the Triangle, it's very hard to pick up and understand. I'm not a basketball mind like he is or the players are, and the players are fine with it, so I just have to be patient."
The Lakers will play Golden State Friday night at the Staples Center.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage