Lakers Coach Mike Brown Fired
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 10, 2012 6:19 AM EST
Los Angeles Lakers coach Mike Brown has been fired after the team got off to a 1-4 start this season.
USA Today reported that Brown’s agent, Warren Legarie, confirmed the news.
Sources told ESPN.com sportswriter Marc Stein that Lakers management was planning on using the team’s upcoming six-game homestand to assess Brown’s performance, but they ultimately decided in a unanimous decision that “the team wasn't heading in the right direction.”
Brown was just a month into his second season with the Lakers. Despite high expectations, the team has struggled during its last season. The Lakers finished 41-25 in Brown's first season, but the team lost to Oklahoma City Thunder in the second round of the NBA playoffs.
Brown stepped in as the Lakers coach in the summer of 2011 after Phil Jackson retired. In an $18 million deal, Brown's contract gave him three seasons -- with a team option in the fourth.
Ironically, NBA’s Hangtime blog noted that Lakers owner, Jim Buss, expressed confidence in Brown less than 48 hours ago ahead of his firing.
"I have no problems with Mike Brown at all," Buss said. "He just works too hard and he's too knowledgeable for this to be happening.
"So either the system is flawed or something's going on. Or, like the Triangle, it's very hard to pick up and understand. I'm not a basketball mind like he is or the players are, and the players are fine with it, so I just have to be patient."
The Lakers will play Golden State Friday night at the Staples Center.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- American Heavyweight Boxer Amir Mansour Says It’s Disrespectful For 50 Cent To Take Jabs At Floyd Mayweather On Social Media
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown