Lehman Europe to pay 1.76 billion pounds to creditors
By Luke Jeffs and Sarah White | November 10, 2012 5:49 AM EST
The European arm of Lehman Brothers will pay out 1.76 billion pounds to unsecured creditors later this month, the first time these clients have had money back from the U.S. bank since it collapsed in 2008.
PricewaterhouseCoopers, which has been paid 563 million pounds so far to handle the British part of the Lehman administration, said on Friday a payment of 25.2 pence in the pound will be made at the end of the month.
"This has been the result of the collective efforts and co-operation of Lehman Brothers International Europe's unsecured creditors, other stakeholders and the team working on the LBIE administration," said Tony Lomas, partner at PwC.
Lehman's collapse in 2008 was the trigger for a full-blown financial crisis which caused trillions in losses across the globe and left governments with huge bills for the resulting bank bailouts which they are still paying off.
PwC said it has agreed 1,582 claims with unsecured creditors totalling 7 billion pounds. The auditors are still in the process of agreeing close to 700 more claims worth 1.3 billion pounds, but there are also billions in secured claims outstanding, many of which are the subject of complicated legal cases.
PwC said payouts have been delayed as it has to verify all claims before both parties can agree on what it hands out.
The accounting firm also said last month it planned to make a first distribution from yet another pool of client money next year, and it will be recovering another $8 billion (5 billion pounds) of segregated securities and cash from another part of Lehman's estate, to be returned to clients of Lehman Europe.
(Editing by Patrick Graham)
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’