Lehman Europe to pay 1.76 billion pounds to creditors
By Luke Jeffs and Sarah White | November 10, 2012 5:49 AM EST
The European arm of Lehman Brothers will pay out 1.76 billion pounds to unsecured creditors later this month, the first time these clients have had money back from the U.S. bank since it collapsed in 2008.
PricewaterhouseCoopers, which has been paid 563 million pounds so far to handle the British part of the Lehman administration, said on Friday a payment of 25.2 pence in the pound will be made at the end of the month.
"This has been the result of the collective efforts and co-operation of Lehman Brothers International Europe's unsecured creditors, other stakeholders and the team working on the LBIE administration," said Tony Lomas, partner at PwC.
Lehman's collapse in 2008 was the trigger for a full-blown financial crisis which caused trillions in losses across the globe and left governments with huge bills for the resulting bank bailouts which they are still paying off.
PwC said it has agreed 1,582 claims with unsecured creditors totalling 7 billion pounds. The auditors are still in the process of agreeing close to 700 more claims worth 1.3 billion pounds, but there are also billions in secured claims outstanding, many of which are the subject of complicated legal cases.
PwC said payouts have been delayed as it has to verify all claims before both parties can agree on what it hands out.
The accounting firm also said last month it planned to make a first distribution from yet another pool of client money next year, and it will be recovering another $8 billion (5 billion pounds) of segregated securities and cash from another part of Lehman's estate, to be returned to clients of Lehman Europe.
(Editing by Patrick Graham)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People