Arsenal Handed Szczesny Injury Boost in Hammers Defeat
By Nick Howson | November 10, 2012 4:28 AM EST
Arsenal goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny made his first appearance for two months against West Ham United in the Under-21 Premier League.
The Polish stopper injured his ankle in the warm-up prior to the win over Southampton in September, and despite going on to feature in the game, has since been forced to sit on the sidelines.
Szczesny was however available to face West Ham in the Under-21 fixture to assist in his recovery from injury but conceded two second half goals as Arsenal were defeated at London Colney.
A Gunners side including Thomas Eisfeld, Serge Gnabry and Ignasi Miquel, all of which have enjoyed first-team opportunities this season, as well as Sebastien Squillaci, went behind after 46 minutes as striker Rob Hall scored his fifth Under-21 goal of the season.
The hosts rallied and Gnabry leveled the scores with 13 minutes left, but Paul McCallum struck the winner late on as West Ham claimed the win to extend their lead to five points over their capital rivals in National Group 1.
But the biggest boost from the afternoon came via Szczesny's return, and the 22 year old will now seek to displace Italian Vito Mannone, who has occupied the No.1 jersey throughout the season.
Hinting that Szczesny could be on the way back for Arsenal, manager Arsene Wenger admitted he faces a tough decision over his permanent No.1.
"When both Vito and Woijech are fully fit, then we will see," he said.
"Wojciech is the number one, so when he is truly fit, I will make that decision, but at the moment it is Vito who will play on Saturday."
While Mannone will definitely take his place between the sticks when Arsenal face Fulham this weekend, going forward, the keeper hopes he can hold off pressure from Szczesny.
"I have done my maximum and then it is up to the manager," Mannone told Standard Sport.
"I think I have done well enough to keep my place. I would like to push on from here. Obviously it is up to the boss and all I can do is work hard in training and in the games and try to give a hand to my team-mates.
"I have gained a lot of confidence from these matches because every game is like a cup final. The experience is unbelievable.
"I have played in great stadiums and against the best sides in the world. I am really happy to be in the team right now and to play these big games.
"I am happy with my performances at the moment. I am really concentrated and trying to give everything I can. I have the shirt now and I want to keep hold of it.
"There are tough games every three days and you need to show what you have got to help your team."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal