Myanmar Train Crash: 25 Dead After Tanker Bursts Into Flames
By Hannah Osborne | November 10, 2012 4:15 AM EST
Twenty five people have been killed in a train crash in Myanmar after a derailed tanker burst into flames.
The train was travelling in northern Myanmar close to the Indian border. It was hauling seven carriages of gasoline and two carriages of diesel.
People were trying to siphon fuel from the overturned carriages when the fire broke out.
The train crashed near Kantbalu, which is around 500 miles north of Yangon. It was travelling to the Kachin state capital of Myitkynia.
State television says a further 62 people were injured in the accident, which took place on Friday morning.
One witness, Myint Kyi, told Radio Free Asia that the dead included 16 men, seven women and two people who were so badly injured their gender could not be identified.
The accident's cause is unknown and the injured are being treated in hospital.
Another tragedy struck Myanmar earlier this week when a boat carrying up to 100 Muslim Rohingya refugees sank on its way to Malaysia. The passengers were fleeing persecution in Myanmar.
The train crash also follows news that Barak Obama is to become the first-ever US president to visit the country.
His trip, which is scheduled for later this month, was "warmly welcomed" by the national government.
Presidential office spokesman Maj Zaw Htay, said: "[The] support and encouragement by the U.S. president and American people will strengthen the commitment of president Thein Sein's reform process to move forward without backtracking."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Australian Woman Charged for Adultery in Lebanon for Visiting Boyfriend
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- Humans at Their Worst: MH17 Victims' Credit Cards Used in Ukraine, Phones 'Answered' by Strangers
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports