Myanmar Train Crash: 25 Dead After Tanker Bursts Into Flames
By Hannah Osborne | November 10, 2012 4:15 AM EST
Twenty five people have been killed in a train crash in Myanmar after a derailed tanker burst into flames.
The train was travelling in northern Myanmar close to the Indian border. It was hauling seven carriages of gasoline and two carriages of diesel.
People were trying to siphon fuel from the overturned carriages when the fire broke out.
The train crashed near Kantbalu, which is around 500 miles north of Yangon. It was travelling to the Kachin state capital of Myitkynia.
State television says a further 62 people were injured in the accident, which took place on Friday morning.
One witness, Myint Kyi, told Radio Free Asia that the dead included 16 men, seven women and two people who were so badly injured their gender could not be identified.
The accident's cause is unknown and the injured are being treated in hospital.
Another tragedy struck Myanmar earlier this week when a boat carrying up to 100 Muslim Rohingya refugees sank on its way to Malaysia. The passengers were fleeing persecution in Myanmar.
The train crash also follows news that Barak Obama is to become the first-ever US president to visit the country.
His trip, which is scheduled for later this month, was "warmly welcomed" by the national government.
Presidential office spokesman Maj Zaw Htay, said: "[The] support and encouragement by the U.S. president and American people will strengthen the commitment of president Thein Sein's reform process to move forward without backtracking."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown