The Remembrance Day Rip Off: Only Fraction of £15 Poppy Goes to British Legion
By Dominic Gover | November 10, 2012 4:03 AM EST
The generosity of the British public is being exploited by charities, with only a small percentage of the cost of certain purchases going to good causes.
Millions of people all over the country are wearing red poppies with pride, to commemorate the fallen of World Wars I and II and also those Armed Forces personnel killed in modern conflicts such as Iraq and Afghanistan. Poppy donations also help fund treatment for those injured in recent conflicts.
Retailer Marks & Spencer is selling an enamel poppy broach - M&S's fastest-selling jewellery item of all time - for £15.
However a woman who bought the broach at the M&S branch in the Westfield shopping centre, Shepherd's Bush, told the IBTimes UK that she was shocked to discover - hidden in the small print - that only 30 percent of the purchase price went towards aiding veterans of the Armed Servcies.
Pauline Katz, of north London, said:
"During the preceding days I had passed many a poppy seller but had not had a chance to stop and buy one. That weekend however, was the anniversary of the death of a family friend and ex-soldier who had fought in the war in Burma. He was also dedicated to raising funds for charity up until his death."
"The cost of the broach was £15 and although it seemed expensive I bought it because I assumed that the majority of the money would be going to the British Legion.
"But when I got home I read the very small print on the label which said that only 30pc of this cost would be going to them. If I had known this in advance I would have preferred to have given the money directly to the British Legion."
M&S told IBTimes UK the company does not make a single penny from selling the broaches on behalf of the British Legion. A spokesman said that the 70pc of the money which does not go to charity is used to cover costs, such as shipping the item to stores around the country.
An M&S spokesman said: "We are very disappointed and surprised to hear there's been a complaint. We are selling the poppies because it is a good cause. We don't make anything on the broach, all profits goes to the British Legion."
However, charity experts agree that the M&S deal is, in fact, comparatively generous when set against products such as Eggs for Soldiers, a box of eggs which generates donations for the Help for Heroes military charity.
Of each box of Eggs for Soldiers sold, 15 pence is donated to Help for Heroes. However the purchase price of the eggs is £1.99 - meaning the amount which goes to charity is just 7.5 percent.
Indeed, English charity law requires that only a tiny 1 percent of an item sold with charity approval, is required as a donation.
Charity experts agree that if you want to guarantee the majority of your hard-earned donation is actually used for a charitable purpose, then give cash.
The British Legion was unavailable for comment at the time of publication.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Australia Ranks High in Human Development Index But Scores Low in Climate Change
- New Zealand Drafts IWC Resolution to Stop Japanese Whalers from Hunting in 2015
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers