ATP World Tour Finals 2012: Djokovic Through as Berdych is Dumped Out
By Nick Howson | November 10, 2012 3:29 AM EST
World No.1 Novak Djokovic booked his place in the ATP World Tour Finals last four and dumped out Tomas Berdych following a straight sets victory at the O2 Arena in London.
After a double break in the first set and taking it 6-2, Djokovic survived being set-point down to Berydhc in the second set tie-break, but recovered to pull off a third successive win and top group A.
The two-set win means Andy Murray requires just a set against Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in their match in the evening session, while the Frenchman needs a straight sets win to keep his hopes alive.
Both players knew a straight sets victory would confirm their place in the semi-final, while both Murray and Tsonga would be keeping a watchful eye on proceedings ahead of their match in the late session.
After both players between them conceded just one point from their opening service games, Djokovic created three break points straight away, but Berdych found two necessary first serves and then benefitted from a long back hand by the Serbian.
But wayward forehand on deuce allowed the No.1 seed another chance to break, which he duly took as Berdych netted a backhand return.
The Czech almost surged back into the contest in the very next game, as Djokovic miscued a forehand, but two errors from Berdych allowed the Australia Open champion to escape.
Among the ten unforced errors from Berdych in the first set saw a long forehand after an energy-sapping rally hand Djokovic another chance to break, and yet another lapse confirmed the double break.
Djokovic was then able to serve out the set to take it 6-2, to confirm his place in the semi-final, and leave Berdych sweating over his continued involvement.
And the No.5 seed looked down and out after the third game of second set, spraying a forehand long to gift Djokovic a set and a break lead.
But in stark contrast to the first set, Berydch rallied to break back for 2-2 in the second and give his continued participation in the end of season's finals a much-needed boost.
As Berdych's first serve percentage rapidly improved, so did his competitiveness in a match he now had to take the next two sets in and despite missing an opportunity to break to the ninth game at 15-30, he took the game to a tie-break.
Leading 5-1 at the changeover, it appeared a formality for Berdych to secure a third set, but inexplicably, he netted consecutively, first on set point after a darting Djokovic return, and then as the 2008 champion hung in the match.
And Djokovic duly served out at the first chance of asking to secure a third successive win, and dump Berdych out of the tournament.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date