Di Matteo Admits Delight At Terry Return
By Vanessa Keller | November 10, 2012 2:32 AM EST
John Terry is set to return to Chelsea's squad this weekend, Roberto Di Matteo has confirmed, with the captain having finished serving his four match ban for being found guilty of racially abusing Anton Ferdinand.
Terry didn't play a part in the Blues' Champions League match with Shakhtar Donestk, but Di Matteo insisted this wasn't a sign that the defender would not be included in the long term as they look to defend their European trophy and challenge for the title.
Terry's season has been full of controversy off the pitch, but as is his typical reaction to such events, the 31 year old has been a rock for Chelsea's defenceon the pitch, and while he's been away from action the club have conceded 10 goals in the four games - 12 including the Shakhtar match - that he's been out.
And Di Matteo says he's glad that the skipper will be back in action for Chelsea this weekend, telling reporters: "JT is a fantastic player for this club and our team, he has got many qualities and I am very happy he is back available for us after the ban.
"Considering the last four weeks in his professional life he has [played] one competitive game, and I thought we needed people that were 100 per cent match fit for a game like this. But I am very glad that he is available for us."
It was believed that Terry would play for Chelsea against Shakhtar right up until almost literally the last minute, and Di Matteo admitted that the conversation with the Blues star over his selection wasn't easy.
"I am not going to comment on the private conversation with my players, but it is not easy to tell a player that he is not playing," he explained.
Chelsea face Liverpool this Sunday, and though the game is at home and the west London side are favourites to take the three points, Di Matteo will be hoping that Terry is fit and ready to shore up the leaks in the squad's defensive line up which have come close to proving costly of late.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports