Di Matteo Admits Delight At Terry Return
By Vanessa Keller | November 10, 2012 2:32 AM EST
John Terry is set to return to Chelsea's squad this weekend, Roberto Di Matteo has confirmed, with the captain having finished serving his four match ban for being found guilty of racially abusing Anton Ferdinand.
Terry didn't play a part in the Blues' Champions League match with Shakhtar Donestk, but Di Matteo insisted this wasn't a sign that the defender would not be included in the long term as they look to defend their European trophy and challenge for the title.
Terry's season has been full of controversy off the pitch, but as is his typical reaction to such events, the 31 year old has been a rock for Chelsea's defenceon the pitch, and while he's been away from action the club have conceded 10 goals in the four games - 12 including the Shakhtar match - that he's been out.
And Di Matteo says he's glad that the skipper will be back in action for Chelsea this weekend, telling reporters: "JT is a fantastic player for this club and our team, he has got many qualities and I am very happy he is back available for us after the ban.
"Considering the last four weeks in his professional life he has [played] one competitive game, and I thought we needed people that were 100 per cent match fit for a game like this. But I am very glad that he is available for us."
It was believed that Terry would play for Chelsea against Shakhtar right up until almost literally the last minute, and Di Matteo admitted that the conversation with the Blues star over his selection wasn't easy.
"I am not going to comment on the private conversation with my players, but it is not easy to tell a player that he is not playing," he explained.
Chelsea face Liverpool this Sunday, and though the game is at home and the west London side are favourites to take the three points, Di Matteo will be hoping that Terry is fit and ready to shore up the leaks in the squad's defensive line up which have come close to proving costly of late.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports