Earthquake Hits Northern Japan, No Tsunami Warning Released
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 10, 2012 1:46 AM EST
An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude rating of 5.5 on the Richter scale struck northern Japan’s Honshu Island on Friday but has not resulted in a tsunami warning, public broadcaster NHK reported.
According to the Japan Meteorological Agency, the quake, which was later downgraded to a 5.2 magnitude, struck parts of Ibaraki Prefecture, Fukushima, Saitama and Tochigi, where it variously measured magnitudes between 3 and 4. It was also measured 2 in Tokyo, Chiba, Gunma and Miyagi.
The location of the earthquake’s epicenter was reported at a depth of 20.8 miles off of the Fukushima coast; 30 miles southeast of Iwaki and 118 miles northeast of Tokyo.
So far, there have been no immediate reports about deaths, injuries, or damage from the earthquake, and no tsunami warning has been issued.
Friday’s earthquake comes more than a year and a half after an 8.9 magnitude earthquake shook Japan on March 11, 2011, triggering a devastating tsunami that left nearly 19,000 people missing or dead and destroyed the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear power plant. The disaster was labeled by many the worst nuclear accident ever, since 1986’s Chernobyl meltdown.
The country continues to cope with the aftermath of that disaster, and according to a new report from Tokyo Electric Power Co., the expected funds necessary to repair the damage are now being valued at up to 10 trillion yen (or $125 billion.)
According to CNN, Japan is also still in the midst of an ongoing effort to clean up more than 13 million tons of debris left over from the tsunami, burning it and grinding it into mulch. The amount may be the biggest single clean up job the country has faced since the end of World War II. But while residents in other parts of Japan seem fearful of efforts to relocate debris to their towns, officials say that the debris is safe and has not led to any elevated radioactive levels.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying