Earthquake Hits Northern Japan, No Tsunami Warning Released
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 10, 2012 1:46 AM EST
An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude rating of 5.5 on the Richter scale struck northern Japan’s Honshu Island on Friday but has not resulted in a tsunami warning, public broadcaster NHK reported.
According to the Japan Meteorological Agency, the quake, which was later downgraded to a 5.2 magnitude, struck parts of Ibaraki Prefecture, Fukushima, Saitama and Tochigi, where it variously measured magnitudes between 3 and 4. It was also measured 2 in Tokyo, Chiba, Gunma and Miyagi.
The location of the earthquake’s epicenter was reported at a depth of 20.8 miles off of the Fukushima coast; 30 miles southeast of Iwaki and 118 miles northeast of Tokyo.
So far, there have been no immediate reports about deaths, injuries, or damage from the earthquake, and no tsunami warning has been issued.
Friday’s earthquake comes more than a year and a half after an 8.9 magnitude earthquake shook Japan on March 11, 2011, triggering a devastating tsunami that left nearly 19,000 people missing or dead and destroyed the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear power plant. The disaster was labeled by many the worst nuclear accident ever, since 1986’s Chernobyl meltdown.
The country continues to cope with the aftermath of that disaster, and according to a new report from Tokyo Electric Power Co., the expected funds necessary to repair the damage are now being valued at up to 10 trillion yen (or $125 billion.)
According to CNN, Japan is also still in the midst of an ongoing effort to clean up more than 13 million tons of debris left over from the tsunami, burning it and grinding it into mulch. The amount may be the biggest single clean up job the country has faced since the end of World War II. But while residents in other parts of Japan seem fearful of efforts to relocate debris to their towns, officials say that the debris is safe and has not led to any elevated radioactive levels.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- #Snapgate: iPad Air 2 Breaks While Undergoing Bend Test
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS