Earthquake Hits Northern Japan, No Tsunami Warning Released
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 10, 2012 1:46 AM EST
An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude rating of 5.5 on the Richter scale struck northern Japan’s Honshu Island on Friday but has not resulted in a tsunami warning, public broadcaster NHK reported.
According to the Japan Meteorological Agency, the quake, which was later downgraded to a 5.2 magnitude, struck parts of Ibaraki Prefecture, Fukushima, Saitama and Tochigi, where it variously measured magnitudes between 3 and 4. It was also measured 2 in Tokyo, Chiba, Gunma and Miyagi.
The location of the earthquake’s epicenter was reported at a depth of 20.8 miles off of the Fukushima coast; 30 miles southeast of Iwaki and 118 miles northeast of Tokyo.
So far, there have been no immediate reports about deaths, injuries, or damage from the earthquake, and no tsunami warning has been issued.
Friday’s earthquake comes more than a year and a half after an 8.9 magnitude earthquake shook Japan on March 11, 2011, triggering a devastating tsunami that left nearly 19,000 people missing or dead and destroyed the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear power plant. The disaster was labeled by many the worst nuclear accident ever, since 1986’s Chernobyl meltdown.
The country continues to cope with the aftermath of that disaster, and according to a new report from Tokyo Electric Power Co., the expected funds necessary to repair the damage are now being valued at up to 10 trillion yen (or $125 billion.)
According to CNN, Japan is also still in the midst of an ongoing effort to clean up more than 13 million tons of debris left over from the tsunami, burning it and grinding it into mulch. The amount may be the biggest single clean up job the country has faced since the end of World War II. But while residents in other parts of Japan seem fearful of efforts to relocate debris to their towns, officials say that the debris is safe and has not led to any elevated radioactive levels.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock Rises Again Despite Bendgate, iOS 8 Bugs; Samsung Stock At Two-Year Low
- Hong Kong Protests Cause Closure Of Banks & Instagram Outages In China
- Federal Court Orders Coles To Hang Signs For 3 Months That It Passed Off Par-Baked Bread As Fresh From The Oven
- Ello Pegged As The Anti-Facebook Social Network
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate