BlackBerry Phones Could Give Owners Itchy Allergy
By Toyin Owoseje | November 10, 2012 1:50 AM EST
They are two key players in the smartphone industry, but if you are prone to allergies choosing between a Blackberry and an iPhone could be a health decision.
People with sensitive skin should avoid using BlackBerry devices, new research has claimed.
According to scientists at the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology(ACAAI), the smartphones created by Canadian Manufacturer, Research in Motion (RIM), contains harsh chemicals that can be harmful to its users.
After testing the buttons, keypad, speakers, camera and metal panels of a selection of phones including iPhones or Android handsets, expert's discovered that some of the BlackBerry phones contained a dangerous amount of nickel and cobalt. The two metals can bring those with sensitive skin out in a rash.
Dr Tania Mucci, who presented the finding, said: "'Both metals can cause an allergic reaction including dry, itchy patches along the cheekbones, jawline and ears.'"
While a third of BlackBerrys tested contained nickel, neither metal was present in the iPhones and Android devices.
Skin doctors are now warning those with BlackBerry users with nickel sensitivities to shorten their calls and reduce text messaging.
"Patients with nickel and cobalt allergies should consider using iPhones to reduce the chance of having an allergic reaction," said allergist Dr Luz Fonacier.
"BlackBerry users with known allergies should avoid prolonged conversations, text messaging and handling their phones if they begin noticing symptoms."
A nickel allergy is the most popular contact allergy in the UK, with 30 per cent of the population affected by it.
The silvery-white metal is used because of its resistance to corrosion.
A Blackberry spokesperson told the Daily Mail: "Allergic reactions to nickel occur if it is found on the outside of a phone.
"We test our phones against EU test protocol EN 1811 and have found no nickel exposure on the exterior surface of newly purchased BlackBerry smartphones."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Best Buy,Target And Amazon Offer Huge Discounts On Tablets Like iPad Air 2, Shield Tablet, Surface Pro 3 And More
- Canada Jetlines Files For C$50 Million Airline IPO