Ferguson Full Of Praise For Aggressive, Fresh Striker
By Vanessa Keller | November 9, 2012 11:39 PM EST
Sir Alex Ferguson has heaped praise on Javier Hernandez, with the Manchester United manager crediting the striker with using the summer break to get back to his brilliant debut-season form.
When Ferguson purchased Robin van Persie in the last transfer window, speculation suggested that Hernandez might not have a place in the squad, with the Mexico international struggling in his second season with the club amidst injury problems.
But since the season began, it's Hernandez who has starred alongside van Persie, scoring six times so far this season, and Ferguson believes that the between the 24 year old, Wayne Rooney and van Persie, United have the perfect combination to bring in high scorelines.
"It's a healthy combination we've got," he said in today's press conference, as reported by the Sport Review. "Robin has come to us at the right time, no doubt about that. He's got us 11 goals so far.
"I don't think it's a problem relying on Robin. Last year, we lost on goal difference and I don't expect us to lose on goal difference again. I think Robin may make that difference.
"The way young Chicha [Hernandez] has started this season, I'm certain he'll get to 20 goals plus. He's on six and he's getting back to where he was a couple of years back. The summer's rest has helped him enormously and he's looking fresh and aggressive in his running. The boy is always a handful.
"Wazza [Rooney] will get there too, he'll get 20 goals plus I'm sure."
Hernandez was compared to the likes of Ruud van Nistelrooy and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in his first season for United, but after picking up an injury in the 2011 pre-season, he was unable to start last campaign well and never really picked his game up.
This summer, Ferguson insisted that he be rested, and he wasn't sent with the Mexico squad to the Olympics as the Scot said he needed a summer off after playing in two consecutive off-seasons.
And that call seems to have massively paid off, with Hernandez now looking like making a big contribution as United look to close the goal difference gap that cost them the title last season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around