Ferguson Full Of Praise For Aggressive, Fresh Striker
By Vanessa Keller | November 9, 2012 11:39 PM EST
Sir Alex Ferguson has heaped praise on Javier Hernandez, with the Manchester United manager crediting the striker with using the summer break to get back to his brilliant debut-season form.
When Ferguson purchased Robin van Persie in the last transfer window, speculation suggested that Hernandez might not have a place in the squad, with the Mexico international struggling in his second season with the club amidst injury problems.
But since the season began, it's Hernandez who has starred alongside van Persie, scoring six times so far this season, and Ferguson believes that the between the 24 year old, Wayne Rooney and van Persie, United have the perfect combination to bring in high scorelines.
"It's a healthy combination we've got," he said in today's press conference, as reported by the Sport Review. "Robin has come to us at the right time, no doubt about that. He's got us 11 goals so far.
"I don't think it's a problem relying on Robin. Last year, we lost on goal difference and I don't expect us to lose on goal difference again. I think Robin may make that difference.
"The way young Chicha [Hernandez] has started this season, I'm certain he'll get to 20 goals plus. He's on six and he's getting back to where he was a couple of years back. The summer's rest has helped him enormously and he's looking fresh and aggressive in his running. The boy is always a handful.
"Wazza [Rooney] will get there too, he'll get 20 goals plus I'm sure."
Hernandez was compared to the likes of Ruud van Nistelrooy and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in his first season for United, but after picking up an injury in the 2011 pre-season, he was unable to start last campaign well and never really picked his game up.
This summer, Ferguson insisted that he be rested, and he wasn't sent with the Mexico squad to the Olympics as the Scot said he needed a summer off after playing in two consecutive off-seasons.
And that call seems to have massively paid off, with Hernandez now looking like making a big contribution as United look to close the goal difference gap that cost them the title last season.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan