‘Jab Tak Hai Jaan’ vs ‘Son of Sardaar’: Appellate Tribunal Issues Notice to YRF, But Refuses to Stay 'JTHJ' Release
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 9, 2012 10:47 PM EST
Actor-producer Ajay Devgn has lost the first round of his battle with YRF when the Competition Commission of India (CCI) rejected his plea alleging Yash Raj productions of monopolistic practices.
With just three days left for the release of "Son of Sardaar" and "Jab Tak Hai Jaan", Ajay has approached the Appellate Tribunal to fight for his rights.
"We are shocked by the rejection of our legitimate case by the CCI. We have approached the Appellate Tribunal against the order," a spokesperson of Ajay Devgn Films said in a statement.
Both "Son of Sardaar" and "Jab Tak Hai Jaan" are releasing on the same day and advance booking of the films have already begun. Ajay has accused Yash Raj Films, producer of "Jab Tak Hai Jaan", for allegedly using its dominant position in the film industry.
The Competition Appellate Tribunal has refused to stop the screening of "Jab Tak Hai Jaan", but has issued notice to YRF and the distributor entities on Ajay's plea. The tribunal has now ordered an enquiry against YRF, but also gave a relief to the production company by saying that the release of the movie will not be stayed.
The Appellate court said "huge economic interests are at stake for both the parties' films and there could be irreparable loss, if the release is stayed," according to Press Trust of India (PTI).
"We desist from passing any order," the tribunal said, adding that "it would not be proper on our part to freeze the agreements between Yash Raj Films and the single screen film exhibitors."
"The Competition Appellate Tribunal has seen merit in our case and has issued notice for enquiring into the anti- competitive activities of YRF about the tie in arrangement to block our movie Son of Sardaar on the day of Diwali," an ADF spokesperson told PTI.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS