‘Jab Tak Hai Jaan’ vs ‘Son of Sardaar’: Appellate Tribunal Issues Notice to YRF, But Refuses to Stay 'JTHJ' Release
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 9, 2012 10:47 PM EST
Actor-producer Ajay Devgn has lost the first round of his battle with YRF when the Competition Commission of India (CCI) rejected his plea alleging Yash Raj productions of monopolistic practices.
With just three days left for the release of "Son of Sardaar" and "Jab Tak Hai Jaan", Ajay has approached the Appellate Tribunal to fight for his rights.
"We are shocked by the rejection of our legitimate case by the CCI. We have approached the Appellate Tribunal against the order," a spokesperson of Ajay Devgn Films said in a statement.
Both "Son of Sardaar" and "Jab Tak Hai Jaan" are releasing on the same day and advance booking of the films have already begun. Ajay has accused Yash Raj Films, producer of "Jab Tak Hai Jaan", for allegedly using its dominant position in the film industry.
The Competition Appellate Tribunal has refused to stop the screening of "Jab Tak Hai Jaan", but has issued notice to YRF and the distributor entities on Ajay's plea. The tribunal has now ordered an enquiry against YRF, but also gave a relief to the production company by saying that the release of the movie will not be stayed.
The Appellate court said "huge economic interests are at stake for both the parties' films and there could be irreparable loss, if the release is stayed," according to Press Trust of India (PTI).
"We desist from passing any order," the tribunal said, adding that "it would not be proper on our part to freeze the agreements between Yash Raj Films and the single screen film exhibitors."
"The Competition Appellate Tribunal has seen merit in our case and has issued notice for enquiring into the anti- competitive activities of YRF about the tie in arrangement to block our movie Son of Sardaar on the day of Diwali," an ADF spokesperson told PTI.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Kylie Jenner Shamed for Range Rover Boasts
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy Exits DWTS For Jennifer Lopez --- Reports
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
- Queen Elizabeth and Kate Middleton Clash Again: Duchess Scared of Difficult Pregnancy, Adopting Second 'Royal' Baby - Reports
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff