‘Jab Tak Hai Jaan’ vs ‘Son of Sardaar’: Appellate Tribunal Issues Notice to YRF, But Refuses to Stay 'JTHJ' Release
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 9, 2012 10:47 PM EST
Actor-producer Ajay Devgn has lost the first round of his battle with YRF when the Competition Commission of India (CCI) rejected his plea alleging Yash Raj productions of monopolistic practices.
With just three days left for the release of "Son of Sardaar" and "Jab Tak Hai Jaan", Ajay has approached the Appellate Tribunal to fight for his rights.
"We are shocked by the rejection of our legitimate case by the CCI. We have approached the Appellate Tribunal against the order," a spokesperson of Ajay Devgn Films said in a statement.
Both "Son of Sardaar" and "Jab Tak Hai Jaan" are releasing on the same day and advance booking of the films have already begun. Ajay has accused Yash Raj Films, producer of "Jab Tak Hai Jaan", for allegedly using its dominant position in the film industry.
The Competition Appellate Tribunal has refused to stop the screening of "Jab Tak Hai Jaan", but has issued notice to YRF and the distributor entities on Ajay's plea. The tribunal has now ordered an enquiry against YRF, but also gave a relief to the production company by saying that the release of the movie will not be stayed.
The Appellate court said "huge economic interests are at stake for both the parties' films and there could be irreparable loss, if the release is stayed," according to Press Trust of India (PTI).
"We desist from passing any order," the tribunal said, adding that "it would not be proper on our part to freeze the agreements between Yash Raj Films and the single screen film exhibitors."
"The Competition Appellate Tribunal has seen merit in our case and has issued notice for enquiring into the anti- competitive activities of YRF about the tie in arrangement to block our movie Son of Sardaar on the day of Diwali," an ADF spokesperson told PTI.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Katy Perry's Date Riff Raff At MTV VMAs: Top 5 Things To Know About The Rapper
- ‘True Blood’: Identity Of Sookie’s Husband In Final Episode Thank You Revealed
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Spoilers: Juice Ratting Gemma Out To Jax, Unser Helping New Sheriff
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Exclusive New Trailer, Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie’s Choice For King Arthur [VIDEO]
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge