Yuvraj Singh to Play in First Test Series after Cancer Recovery
By nagashree gururaj | November 9, 2012 7:56 PM EST
The much-awaited India England test series will begin Thursday in Ahmedabad. Yuvraj Singh's fitness will be closely watched as this will be his first test match after his recovery from cancer.
The stylish left-hander played his last test match a year ago in 2011 against West Indies. There are apprehensions about his fitness level and whether he will be able to stand the arduous 5-day game under rigorous conditions.
"We have to understand that the five day format has its own uncertainties, unlike ODI's or T20s. In test cricket, there may be a situation that a team might bat for one and a half to two days. We have to assess whether Yuvraj is ready to field for two day", India Today quoted Indian Skipper M S Dhoni as saying.
Yuvraj's mother Shabana retorted to Dhoni's comment saying it's for selectors to take a call on Yuvraj's fitness. "They saw him playing Duleep trophy. He has worked hard on his fitness and the results are showing", she told Aaj Tak. Yuvraj scored 208 runs in Duleep trophy and batted for two days.
India's last tour to England was a huge disaster. England beat India 4-0. "Last year when we toured England, it was a difficult time for us. This time we would like to give it back to the Englishmen. This is definitely a revenge series for us," said Yuvraj, according to The Times of India..
The cricketer was more than happy about his inclusion in the test match. "Of course this is big news for me, as I would be coming back into the team after more than a year or so. Though I have played theTwenty20 World Cup but I always wanted to play Test cricket," he added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More