Yuvraj Singh to Play in First Test Series after Cancer Recovery
By nagashree gururaj | November 9, 2012 7:56 PM EST
The much-awaited India England test series will begin Thursday in Ahmedabad. Yuvraj Singh's fitness will be closely watched as this will be his first test match after his recovery from cancer.
The stylish left-hander played his last test match a year ago in 2011 against West Indies. There are apprehensions about his fitness level and whether he will be able to stand the arduous 5-day game under rigorous conditions.
"We have to understand that the five day format has its own uncertainties, unlike ODI's or T20s. In test cricket, there may be a situation that a team might bat for one and a half to two days. We have to assess whether Yuvraj is ready to field for two day", India Today quoted Indian Skipper M S Dhoni as saying.
Yuvraj's mother Shabana retorted to Dhoni's comment saying it's for selectors to take a call on Yuvraj's fitness. "They saw him playing Duleep trophy. He has worked hard on his fitness and the results are showing", she told Aaj Tak. Yuvraj scored 208 runs in Duleep trophy and batted for two days.
India's last tour to England was a huge disaster. England beat India 4-0. "Last year when we toured England, it was a difficult time for us. This time we would like to give it back to the Englishmen. This is definitely a revenge series for us," said Yuvraj, according to The Times of India..
The cricketer was more than happy about his inclusion in the test match. "Of course this is big news for me, as I would be coming back into the team after more than a year or so. Though I have played theTwenty20 World Cup but I always wanted to play Test cricket," he added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- UEFA Champions League Draw: Schedule, TV and Live Stream Information
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0