Yuvraj Singh to Play in First Test Series after Cancer Recovery
By nagashree gururaj | November 9, 2012 7:56 PM EST
The much-awaited India England test series will begin Thursday in Ahmedabad. Yuvraj Singh's fitness will be closely watched as this will be his first test match after his recovery from cancer.
The stylish left-hander played his last test match a year ago in 2011 against West Indies. There are apprehensions about his fitness level and whether he will be able to stand the arduous 5-day game under rigorous conditions.
"We have to understand that the five day format has its own uncertainties, unlike ODI's or T20s. In test cricket, there may be a situation that a team might bat for one and a half to two days. We have to assess whether Yuvraj is ready to field for two day", India Today quoted Indian Skipper M S Dhoni as saying.
Yuvraj's mother Shabana retorted to Dhoni's comment saying it's for selectors to take a call on Yuvraj's fitness. "They saw him playing Duleep trophy. He has worked hard on his fitness and the results are showing", she told Aaj Tak. Yuvraj scored 208 runs in Duleep trophy and batted for two days.
India's last tour to England was a huge disaster. England beat India 4-0. "Last year when we toured England, it was a difficult time for us. This time we would like to give it back to the Englishmen. This is definitely a revenge series for us," said Yuvraj, according to The Times of India..
The cricketer was more than happy about his inclusion in the test match. "Of course this is big news for me, as I would be coming back into the team after more than a year or so. Though I have played theTwenty20 World Cup but I always wanted to play Test cricket," he added.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions