Storm Sandy won't blow Allianz off 2012 target
November 9, 2012 6:56 PM EST
The latest claims data on superstorm Sandy in the United States do not threaten the full year operating target of Allianz , Europe's biggest insurer said on Friday.
Allianz raised its 2012 operating target on October 29 just as Sandy blasted through the Northeastern United States, saying it expected operating profit to exceed 9 billion euros ($11.5 billion), above the 8.7 billion it had previously seen as the top of its target range.
The insurer confirmed the new target on Friday alongside details of its third quarter earnings, after giving headline results last week.
"This outlook considers preliminary estimates regarding the impacts of hurricane 'Sandy' as per November 8, 2012," Allianz said, warning that claims from large catastrophes sometimes take weeks or months to be finalized.
Disaster modeling companies expect Sandy caused as much as $20 billion in insured losses, not counting flood damage that could add billions more to the total.
The insurer on Friday said operating profit rose by a third to 2.53 billion euros in the third quarter, with property-casualty operating profit up just 4.3 percent but life-health and asset management up nearly 60 percent.
Allianz's share has risen by 27 percent since the start of the year, slightly outpacing the STOXX Europe 600 insurance index <.SXIP>. Shares in Europe's No. 2 insurer, Axa have risen by less than 20 percent over the same period.
According to Thomson Reuters StarMine, which weights analyst forecasts according to their track record, Allianz trades at 7.9 times 12-month forward earnings, a premium to Axa, which trades at a multiple of 6.2.
(Reporting by Jonathan Gould; Editing by Elaine Hardcastle)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet