Azharuddin Relieved of Life-Ban from Cricket after 12 Years
By IB Times Staff Reporter | November 9, 2012 6:55 PM EST
The Andhra Pradesh High Court on Thursday relieved former cricketer Mohammad Azharuddin of the life-term ban imposed on him 12 years ago, calling it an "illegal" and "unsustainable" action.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BBCI) had imposed a ban on Azharuddin, Ajay Jadeja and Ajay Sharma for their alleged involvement in a match fixing scandal in 2000. Azharuddin and Sharma were slapped with a life term ban, while Jadeja was banned for five years.
The former Indian cricket captain, now an MP, was happy with the verdict and said that will not take any action against BCCI for its judgement. "I am not going to take any legal action against any authority and I don't want to blame anybody for this also. It is about destiny and whatever had to happen has happened. I don't have any complaints", Press Trust of India quoted him as saying.
Azharuddin thanked all those who stood by him during the darkest phase of his life. "I thank Late Raj Singh Dungarpur for his constant support when he was alive. Also Kapil paaji has been very vocal in my support in all forums. So was former BCCI vice-president Kamal Morarka. I also thank all my fans who had stood by me in all these 12 years", reports PTI.
Azharuddin was one India's most successful players and played 99 test matches for the country. The 49-year-old made his international debut in 1984 and scored a remarkable total of 15,593 runs, including test matches and one day internationals.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebs: Struggle With Drug Addiction
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People