Habitable planet discovered, Earth-like climate and environment possible
By Arlene Paredes | November 9, 2012 6:42 PM EST
A planet that orbits a star at just the right distance has been discovered. It is in a life-safe zone that is neither too hot nor too cold, making a climate and environment similar to Earth a possibility.
An Anglo-German team of astronomers reported planet HD 40307g, which orbits HD 40307 star, is part of a group of planets originally perceived to be too close to the star.
Life as we know it is likely elsewhere in space if the environment exists in the so-called Goldilocks Zone, explained RTE. If a planet is neither too hot nor too cold, then it could support liquid water. This right temperature exists in the Goldilocks Zone.
Planet HD 40307g is seven times more massive than Earth. It is the only planet in its system to be at the right distance from the star it orbits. Interestingly, the newly discovered planet orbits at about the same distance from its star. As such, it receives a similar amount of solar energy as Earth gets.
RTE reported over 800 planets have been discovered outside our solar system, but planets in the habitable zone are scarce. Planets that rotate and give way to a day-time and night-time are even rarer, which makes planet HD 40307g an exciting discovery.
"There is no reason why [HD 40307g] could not sustain an Earth-like climate," said the head of research team, Guillem Angla-Escude from Germany's University of Goettingen.
Mikko Tuomi at the University of Hertfordshire in Britain co-lead the study.
"Just as Goldilocks liked her porridge to be neither too hot nor too cold but just right, this planet, or indeed any moons that it has, lie in an orbit comparable to Earth, increasing the probability of it being habitable," University of Hertfordshire astronomer Hugh Jones told Reuters.
This discovery was the subject of a research paper published in the journal Astronomy & Astrophysics.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- NASA Astronomers Unearths Mysterious Signal That 'Could Not Be Explained By Known Physics' [Watch Video]
- Richard Norris' Successful Face Transplant Lands Him in GQ Cover [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Industrial Air Pollution May Help Search for Alien Life - Scientists
- Luxury Cruise: A 'Once In A Lifetime' Trip To Experience Environment Devastation in the Arctic
- Breaking Discovery: Industrial Pollution Reached South Pole by 19th Century
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’