China Inflation Slows To 1.7% In October
November 9, 2012 1:55 PM EST
China’s consumer inflation unexpectedly slowed to a 33-month low thanks to food prices, the government announced Friday, while producer-price deflation eased in a sign of rebounding industrial demand.
The consumer-price index rose 1.7 percent in October from a year earlier, the National Bureau of Statistics said, Bloomberg reported. That was below the median estimate of analysts surveyed by Bloomberg and compared with 1.9 percent in September. Producer prices declined 2.8 percent from a year earlier after a 3.6 percent drop in September.
While the increase in China’s gross domestic product slowed to 7.4 percent in the July-September quarter from a year earlier, the weakest in three years, gauges of manufacturing and retail sales have pointed to a recovery. Expansion will probably pick up to 7.7 percent this quarter and to 7.9 percent in January-March 2013, based on the median estimate of analysts surveyed Oct. 18-22.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: Australia Mulls To Review Airport Security Policy, Could Allow Scissors, Metal Cutlery Back In Planes
- 5 Likely Reasons Why You Are Not Getting Hired
- This Is How Obesity Weighs Down Global Economy By 2 Trillion Dollars Every Year
- Consumer Alert: Retailer Simons Goes Out Of Quebec, To Open Five Stores Across Canada
- Signs That You Are A Smartphone Zombie (And The Dangers This Poses)
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates