Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 11/9/2012
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | November 9, 2012 1:28 PM EST
Local stocks are trading in the red today, with most of the damage being done by Westpac (WBC and the National Australia Bank (NAB), which are trading without rights to their dividends. Overnight, US markets rose at the open then traded lower, as investors focused on the so-called "fiscal cliff" with tax increases and spending cuts to occur from the 1st January.
At lunchtime in the East, the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) is down 28pts or 0.6pct to 4474.2.
$WBC is paying an 84c dividend to shareholders, and is trading down 95c or 3.7pct to $24.98. The $NAB is down 4.3pct or $1.06 to $23.81, after paying out a 90c dividend to shareholders. The Commonwealth Bank (CBA) is trading higher, up 0.9pct to $58.69 while the ANZ (ANZ) is virtually flat at $24.39.
Australia's biggest electricity retailer Origin Energy (ORG) has today claimed it won't need to raise capital despite issuing a profit downgrade after the close of trade on Thursday. $ORG has forecast underlying profit will come in around 5-10pct lower than in FY12 ($839M) after previously forecasting a 5-10pct increase. Origin has blamed the downgrade on a regulatory uncertainty including an unfavourable pricing decision in Queensland. Origin, along with partners ConocoPhillips and China Petrochemical Corporation, are spending US$20 billion building a liquefied natural gas export project in Queensland. ORG shares are down 5.3pct at lunchtime in the East to $10.48.
Elsewhere, healthcare stocks are looking strong on defensive buying. CSL Limited (CSL) is up 1.4pct to $48.40 while Cochlear (COH) is firmer by 1.4pct to $75.09.
The Australian dollar is worth US103.92c, £0.6504 and €81.56c.
In early trade, 605 million shares have changed hands, worth $3.76 billion. 268 are up, 434 are down and 320 are unchanged.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 22, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- BHP Billiton Goads Abbott Government to Also Repeal Mining Tax Law
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning July 23, 2014
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales