New York Gas Crisis: Are The Odd/Even Gas Days Going To Make A Difference?
By Maria Vultaggio | November 9, 2012 12:40 PM EST
Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced Thursday that he would be imposing an odd/even day gasoline rationing system for New York City, and Long Island authorities are following suit.
The rule takes effect at 6 a.m. Friday, but is it going to make a difference?
The mayor seems to think so. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie imposed a similar rule in 12 counties after Hurricane Sandy knocked out supplies and power to gas stations.
Odd/even gas days help to shorten lines and allow gas stations to stay open longer. Cars whose license plates end in odd numbers can refill on a odd-numbered date and vice versa.
The rule will apply to private vehicles but buses, taxis and emergency vehicles are exempt, according to the New York Times.
“This is not a step that we take lightly,” Bloomberg said, “but given the shortage that we will face for the next few weeks and the growing frustrations of New Yorkers, we believe it is the right step.”
In New Jersey, by contrast, Christie said Thursday morning, “I’ve driven around the state the last two days and I’ve barely seen any fuel lines any more. There’s order, there’s plenty of gas.”
But it’s been more than a week since New York was ravaged by Hurricane Sandy, and it seems odd that such a rule would be put into effect now.
When the storm first hit the major reason gas stations were running out of fuel was not lack of supply but their own power loss and distribution; it was difficult for fuel trucks to deliver the gasoline.
Now that power has been restored to many more stations and most of the roads are cleared, it should only be a matter of time before things went back to normal on their own.
It seems odd to impose the rule now when things are on their way to working out, or at least too late.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- BNP Of Bangladesh, BNP Of Britain: Surprisingly Similar, Despite Obvious Superficial Differences
- Never Heard Of Bastille Day? Neither Have I, And I Am French!
- Egypt's Chaos Need Not Derail The Arab Spring
- The International Criminal Court Is Mulling An Absurd Case Against Israel
- Kylie Jenner Bikini Picture On Twitter: Is She Trying To Keep Up With The Kardashians? [PHOTO]
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James