New York Gas Crisis: Are The Odd/Even Gas Days Going To Make A Difference?
By Maria Vultaggio | November 9, 2012 12:40 PM EST
Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced Thursday that he would be imposing an odd/even day gasoline rationing system for New York City, and Long Island authorities are following suit.
The rule takes effect at 6 a.m. Friday, but is it going to make a difference?
The mayor seems to think so. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie imposed a similar rule in 12 counties after Hurricane Sandy knocked out supplies and power to gas stations.
Odd/even gas days help to shorten lines and allow gas stations to stay open longer. Cars whose license plates end in odd numbers can refill on a odd-numbered date and vice versa.
The rule will apply to private vehicles but buses, taxis and emergency vehicles are exempt, according to the New York Times.
“This is not a step that we take lightly,” Bloomberg said, “but given the shortage that we will face for the next few weeks and the growing frustrations of New Yorkers, we believe it is the right step.”
In New Jersey, by contrast, Christie said Thursday morning, “I’ve driven around the state the last two days and I’ve barely seen any fuel lines any more. There’s order, there’s plenty of gas.”
But it’s been more than a week since New York was ravaged by Hurricane Sandy, and it seems odd that such a rule would be put into effect now.
When the storm first hit the major reason gas stations were running out of fuel was not lack of supply but their own power loss and distribution; it was difficult for fuel trucks to deliver the gasoline.
Now that power has been restored to many more stations and most of the roads are cleared, it should only be a matter of time before things went back to normal on their own.
It seems odd to impose the rule now when things are on their way to working out, or at least too late.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- BNP Of Bangladesh, BNP Of Britain: Surprisingly Similar, Despite Obvious Superficial Differences
- Never Heard Of Bastille Day? Neither Have I, And I Am French!
- Egypt's Chaos Need Not Derail The Arab Spring
- The International Criminal Court Is Mulling An Absurd Case Against Israel
- Kylie Jenner Bikini Picture On Twitter: Is She Trying To Keep Up With The Kardashians? [PHOTO]
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales