BofA's Merrill loses bid to end FHFA mortgage lawsuit
By Jonathan Stempel | November 9, 2012 11:28 AM EST
Merrill Lynch, part of Bank of America Corp
U.S. District Judge Denise Cote in Manhattan said the Federal Housing Finance Agency, which had sued over roughly $24.9 billion of securities, may pursue fraud claims over Merrill's representations in offering materials regarding mortgage underwriting standards.
The judge also allowed claims under Washington, D.C. securities law, as well as claims for punitive damages and to rescind suspect mortgage transactions. She dismissed some fraud claims.
Bank of America spokesman Lawrence Grayson declined to comment.
Last year, that agency filed 18 lawsuits over mortgage losses suffered by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac on roughly $200 billion of securities, including $57.5 billion sponsored or underwritten by Bank of America and its Merrill and Countrywide units.
A trial is scheduled for June 2, 2014.
Cote had previously refused to dismiss FHFA lawsuits against two other banks over Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac mortgage losses.
On November 5, she rejected JPMorgan Chase & Co's
In May, she refused to end a case against Switzerland's UBS AG
Since buying Countrywide in July 2008 and Merrill six months later, Bank of America has lost nearly $40 billion on mortgage litigation and investor demands to buy back soured loans, Credit Suisse said on October 5.
On October 24, the U.S. Department of Justice filed its own civil fraud lawsuit accusing the Charlotte, North Carolina-based lender of causing more than $1 billion of taxpayer losses by selling toxic mortgage loans to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
Bank of America said at the time that it had "stepped up and acted responsibly to resolve legacy mortgage matters."
(Additional reporting by Nate Raymond; Editing by David Gregorio)
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions