Icahn says has mulled Netflix takeover, no decision made
November 9, 2012 10:35 AM EST
Activist investor Carl Icahn, who holds an almost 10 percent stake in Netflix, said on Thursday he has considered a hostile takeover bid for Netflix, but it was uncertain he stood a chance of acquiring the Internet streaming service.
Asked by TV network CNBC whether he would "go hostile" on Netflix, Icahn said, "The thought had certainly entered my mind. I have to admit I think about it, but we haven't made that decision."
While Icahn said a hostile takeover was "certainly an alternative," he downplayed the possibility several times. He added that he would not be able to pay as much for Netflix as a "synergistic buyer" looking to acquire an Internet movie and TV subscription service.
Netflix has been the subject of periodic acquisition speculation, with potential names tossed around from Microsoft Corp to Amazon.com Inc.
Icahn last month disclosed he had amassed control of 9.98 percent of Netflix shares. Most of his purchases were in the form of call options that expire in September 2014. The billionaire, who is known for shaking up corporate management, has said Netflix was undervalued and an attractive acquisition target for a number of companies.
Netflix has since adopted a poison pill defense to prevent a hostile takeover, a move that Icahn on Thursday called "reprehensible."
A Netflix spokesman did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Icahn's remarks.
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports