Australia Mulls GST on Items Bought Abroad
By Vittorio Hernandez | November 9, 2012 10:32 AM EST
The advantage enjoyed by online retailers based overseas over bricks and mortar stores insofar as Australian consumers are concerned may soon be removed. A plan by the federal government to collect the general sales tax (GST) for purchases abroad may just level the playing field for both kinds of retailers.
Reports said that the plan to lower the GST exemption from the current $1,000 is the result of a review made by the Gillard government in response to complaints of local retailers that their foreign counterparts enjoy an advantage due to the GST-free high threshold.
To worsen the situation for Australian retailers, the country's currency continues to strengthen, causing Aussies to prefer to buy products overseas which are cheaper due to their GST-exempt status.
Major Australian retailers such as Myer, David Jones and Harvey Norman are among those pushing for a lower GST exemption to as little as $30.
Australian Retailers Association Executive Director Russell Zimmerman favoured the planned changes, which is expected to save jobs in the local retail industry and add $1.6 billion to government coffers.
However, there are concerns that the GST may cause consumers to hold on to their wallets just when Aussies are parting with their hard-earned money. Some consumers clarified that they prefer to buy overseas from online retailers not to escape paying the GST but for convenience and lower cost of goods.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers