Guatemala Cleans Up After Massive Earthquake
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 9, 2012 10:08 AM EST
Guatemala was coping Thursday with the aftermath of a massive magnitude 7.4 earthquake that killed at least 52 people, injured many more and damaged thousands of homes.
The epicenter of Wednesday's quake was located off Guatemala’s Pacific Coast, affecting the mountainous San Marcos region near the western border with Mexico.
Around 2,000 soldiers were deployed to the area Thursday to assist with rescue efforts.
“We started rescue work very early," said fire official Julio Cesar Fuentes, the BBC reported. "The objective is our hope to find people who were buried."
Guatemalan authorities reported that 75,000 households remained without power.
The only hospital in the area did not lose power, but has been inundated with the injured.
The earthquake was the largest to hit the Central American country since 1976 when a magnitude 7.5 earthquake struck, causing 25,000 deaths.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Women’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 - Li Na, Sharapova, Kvitova, And Williams
Join the Conversation
- Aurora Borealis Paints A Beautiful Picture On The Northern Skies [Watch Video]
- West Seattle Man Accuses Stranger Obese Woman Of Rape While He Was Asleep
- Testicular Cancer Survivor Pushes 6-Foot Giant Ball Across The US To Create Awareness About Ailment
- What Is Black Apple -- And Why It Matters
- Sleep Well To Work Better And More
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date