Guatemala Cleans Up After Massive Earthquake
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 9, 2012 10:08 AM EST
Guatemala was coping Thursday with the aftermath of a massive magnitude 7.4 earthquake that killed at least 52 people, injured many more and damaged thousands of homes.
The epicenter of Wednesday's quake was located off Guatemala’s Pacific Coast, affecting the mountainous San Marcos region near the western border with Mexico.
Around 2,000 soldiers were deployed to the area Thursday to assist with rescue efforts.
“We started rescue work very early," said fire official Julio Cesar Fuentes, the BBC reported. "The objective is our hope to find people who were buried."
Guatemalan authorities reported that 75,000 households remained without power.
The only hospital in the area did not lose power, but has been inundated with the injured.
The earthquake was the largest to hit the Central American country since 1976 when a magnitude 7.5 earthquake struck, causing 25,000 deaths.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- HIV Cure: First Effective Cure to Have Long-Term Remission; 3 Factors to Check on Inactive Virus
- Coming Soon: AntiViral Gel in Condoms to Kill HIV Virus
- Melbourne Man Gives Up Sex For a Year; Donates £50,000 in Charity
- FDA Prioritises Review of ‘Abuse-Deterrent’ Painkiller
- Tree of 40 Fruit: A Tree That Produces 40 Fruits in New York
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports