Gold and Silver Climb Higher as Equities Sink Again
By Eric McWhinnie | November 9, 2012 8:31 AM EST
Both precious metals logged gains, despite central banks in Europe and England keeping main interest rates unchanged. The European Central Bank decided to keep its rate at 0.75 percent, while the Bank of England is holding steady at 0.5 percent. The BOE also said it will not be adding to its 375 billion pound quantitative easing program.
Don’t Miss: Is Barrick Gold a Buy After Earnings?
While the ECB did not lower its interest rate, the central bank’s president Mario Draghi continued to jawbone markets about bond buying. “We are ready to undertake” Outright Monetary Transactions, “which will help to avoid extreme scenarios,” he said at a press conference in Frankfurt, according to Bloomberg. “The risks surrounding the economic outlook remain on the downside” and underlying inflation pressures “should remain moderate.”
By the end of the day, the Dow Jones Industrial Average closed 121 points in the red, while the S&P 500 and Nasdaq dropped more than 1.0 percent. However, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) gained nearly 1.0 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) increased 1.8 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) and Agnico Eagle Mines (NYSE:AEM) both closed more than 1 percent higher. Meanwhile, First Majestic Silver (NYSE:AG) and Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) jumped 3.4 percent and 2.5 percent, respectively.
Investor Insight: Is Gold Set to Benefit from Obama’s Re-Election?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone
- iPhone 6 Plus Phablet Features Only 1 GB RAM