Gold and Silver Climb Higher as Equities Sink Again
By Eric McWhinnie | November 9, 2012 8:31 AM EST
Both precious metals logged gains, despite central banks in Europe and England keeping main interest rates unchanged. The European Central Bank decided to keep its rate at 0.75 percent, while the Bank of England is holding steady at 0.5 percent. The BOE also said it will not be adding to its 375 billion pound quantitative easing program.
Don’t Miss: Is Barrick Gold a Buy After Earnings?
While the ECB did not lower its interest rate, the central bank’s president Mario Draghi continued to jawbone markets about bond buying. “We are ready to undertake” Outright Monetary Transactions, “which will help to avoid extreme scenarios,” he said at a press conference in Frankfurt, according to Bloomberg. “The risks surrounding the economic outlook remain on the downside” and underlying inflation pressures “should remain moderate.”
By the end of the day, the Dow Jones Industrial Average closed 121 points in the red, while the S&P 500 and Nasdaq dropped more than 1.0 percent. However, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) gained nearly 1.0 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) increased 1.8 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) and Agnico Eagle Mines (NYSE:AEM) both closed more than 1 percent higher. Meanwhile, First Majestic Silver (NYSE:AG) and Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) jumped 3.4 percent and 2.5 percent, respectively.
Investor Insight: Is Gold Set to Benefit from Obama’s Re-Election?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown