Gold and Silver Climb Higher as Equities Sink Again
By Eric McWhinnie | November 9, 2012 8:31 AM EST
Both precious metals logged gains, despite central banks in Europe and England keeping main interest rates unchanged. The European Central Bank decided to keep its rate at 0.75 percent, while the Bank of England is holding steady at 0.5 percent. The BOE also said it will not be adding to its 375 billion pound quantitative easing program.
Don’t Miss: Is Barrick Gold a Buy After Earnings?
While the ECB did not lower its interest rate, the central bank’s president Mario Draghi continued to jawbone markets about bond buying. “We are ready to undertake” Outright Monetary Transactions, “which will help to avoid extreme scenarios,” he said at a press conference in Frankfurt, according to Bloomberg. “The risks surrounding the economic outlook remain on the downside” and underlying inflation pressures “should remain moderate.”
By the end of the day, the Dow Jones Industrial Average closed 121 points in the red, while the S&P 500 and Nasdaq dropped more than 1.0 percent. However, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) gained nearly 1.0 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) increased 1.8 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) and Agnico Eagle Mines (NYSE:AEM) both closed more than 1 percent higher. Meanwhile, First Majestic Silver (NYSE:AG) and Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) jumped 3.4 percent and 2.5 percent, respectively.
Investor Insight: Is Gold Set to Benefit from Obama’s Re-Election?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]