Gold and Silver Climb Higher as Equities Sink Again
By Eric McWhinnie | November 9, 2012 8:31 AM EST
Both precious metals logged gains, despite central banks in Europe and England keeping main interest rates unchanged. The European Central Bank decided to keep its rate at 0.75 percent, while the Bank of England is holding steady at 0.5 percent. The BOE also said it will not be adding to its 375 billion pound quantitative easing program.
Don’t Miss: Is Barrick Gold a Buy After Earnings?
While the ECB did not lower its interest rate, the central bank’s president Mario Draghi continued to jawbone markets about bond buying. “We are ready to undertake” Outright Monetary Transactions, “which will help to avoid extreme scenarios,” he said at a press conference in Frankfurt, according to Bloomberg. “The risks surrounding the economic outlook remain on the downside” and underlying inflation pressures “should remain moderate.”
By the end of the day, the Dow Jones Industrial Average closed 121 points in the red, while the S&P 500 and Nasdaq dropped more than 1.0 percent. However, the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) gained nearly 1.0 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) increased 1.8 percent. Gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) and Agnico Eagle Mines (NYSE:AEM) both closed more than 1 percent higher. Meanwhile, First Majestic Silver (NYSE:AG) and Hecla Mining (NYSE:HL) jumped 3.4 percent and 2.5 percent, respectively.
Investor Insight: Is Gold Set to Benefit from Obama’s Re-Election?
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS