Was 'Call Me Maybe' Plagiarized?
November 9, 2012 8:43 AM EST
Was the biggest pop hit of the year a rip-off of a previously released song?
TMZ reported on Monday that Ukrainian pop star Aza has filed a lawsuit against Carly Rae Jepsen for allegedly plagiarizing her holiday track "Hunky Santa" and turning it into the unbelievably catchy "Call Me Maybe."
“I’m shocked and surprised that these people wanted to sample my lyrics on their song," Aza told the site. "They didn’t ask me for permission, they just took it. That’s why I filed this lawsuit.”
“I like lots of hunky men and chocolate covered Bon Bons," go the lyrics of the tune. "I will make cookies for you.”
Entertainment Weekly notes that the claim is likely nothing more than a publicity stunt, and upon viewing the sultry video for "Hunky Santa," its unclear how the song was copied by the Canadian singer.
The video features Aza wearing a barely there outfit and moving seductively in front of a Christmas tree.
According to the Irish Independent, Jepson's representatives are dismissing the claim.
“This is completely false and lawyers will deal with this," a rep for the songstress said. "Everyone knows Carly is a songwriter. She is not spending a lot of time listening to Ukrainian radio."
This isn't the first time that Jepsen has been accused of stealing a song. Last month, Vibe reported that the singer's single "Good Time," featuring Owl City, was accused of stealing parts of the song, "Ah, It's A Love Song," by Alabama-based singer Allyson Nichole Burnett.
"Call Me Maybe" is one of the best-selling songs of all time. The upbeat pop track has reach Number One in the U.S. and throughout the world in countries like Ireland, France and Slovakia. Though it was released this year, the song has been covered by a number of artists including Katie Perry and Fun!.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Shocking Inside Stories Of Prince Charles and Princess Diana Revealed By Former Press Officer
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Spoilers: Queen Elsa Of 'Frozen' May Not Be The Big Villain (Premiere Date In A Week's Time)
- Another Celebrity Nude Photo Leak: Naked Pics Of Liam Payne And Kim Kardashian Uploaded Online
- Madonna Posts Video Of Son Hailed As Possibly The Next Dancing Prodigy
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Sept. 22-26 Spoilers: Updates On Nick And Sharon’s Wedding, Hilary, Neil, Phyllis, Chelsea, Billy And More
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- Xiaomi Mi4 v. Moto X (2014) – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown