More Women Than Ever Elected To Congress In 2012 Election
November 9, 2012 8:08 AM EST
If there was actually a war on women during the 2012 election, it’s safe to say that women clearly won.
A record number of women will now serve in the U.S. Congress, following sweeping victories for those candidates in both the Senate and House of Representatives on Election Day. The victory, in addition to proving that rape apologist theories don't actually fly with the American electorate, also demonstrates that the embodiment of successful, female figures in command is something embraced by men and women of different ages, races and income levels across the nation.
Twenty women will now serve in the 100-member Senate and at least 81 of the 435 seats in the House will be represented by women. And there are several first: A number of congressional districts and Senate seats will now have its first female representative, while the upper chamber is about to welcome its first openly gay female senator.
Bonus: The country is about to see its first all-female delegation -- U.S. senators, U.S. House members and a governor (who will be the only Democratic female governor in the nation)– in New Hampshire.
Here are some of the new female faces joining the House and Senate in 2013.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- 'ISIL Has To Be Defeated, Plain And Simple, End Of Story,' Sen. John Kerry
- New Samsung Galaxy S5 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Released, Verizon Guide and Installation