Precious Metals Extend Gains, Gold Hits 3-Week High
By jturbin | November 9, 2012 6:58 AM EST
Precious metals rose modestly Thursday morning, but built on their gains in afternoon trading.
Gold futures settled up at the COMEX by $9.70, or 0.6%, at $1,723.90 per ounce, but extended their gains in electronic trading to $1,734.90. In doing so, the yellow metal reached its best level since October 19th, three week ago.
Silver futures followed a similar path, rising $0.49, or 1.6%, to $32.16 per ounce at the COMEX. Subsequently in electronic trading, silver climbed to $32.36, its highest point since November 1st.
The rally in precious metals was not accompanied by weakness in the U.S. dollar, however, as the greenback held near unchanged against a basket of foreign currencies.
Gold and silver stocks added to their gains alongside the metals, as the Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) added 1.0% to 184.16. Notable XAU components in the black included Agnico-Eagle Mines (AEM), Eldorado Gold (EGO), and Silver Wheaton (SLW). Shares of AEM rose by 1.4% to $56.59, EGO by 3.0% to $15.27, and SLW by 1.5% to $40.73.
(Get analysis and rankings on over 90 senior and junior gold and silver mining stocks at GoldAlert Pro – http://pro.goldalert.com)
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Worldwide Appetite for Gold Slumps 16% in 2Q 2014 – WGC
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown