Precious Metals Extend Gains, Gold Hits 3-Week High
By jturbin | November 9, 2012 6:58 AM EST
Precious metals rose modestly Thursday morning, but built on their gains in afternoon trading.
Gold futures settled up at the COMEX by $9.70, or 0.6%, at $1,723.90 per ounce, but extended their gains in electronic trading to $1,734.90. In doing so, the yellow metal reached its best level since October 19th, three week ago.
Silver futures followed a similar path, rising $0.49, or 1.6%, to $32.16 per ounce at the COMEX. Subsequently in electronic trading, silver climbed to $32.36, its highest point since November 1st.
The rally in precious metals was not accompanied by weakness in the U.S. dollar, however, as the greenback held near unchanged against a basket of foreign currencies.
Gold and silver stocks added to their gains alongside the metals, as the Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) added 1.0% to 184.16. Notable XAU components in the black included Agnico-Eagle Mines (AEM), Eldorado Gold (EGO), and Silver Wheaton (SLW). Shares of AEM rose by 1.4% to $56.59, EGO by 3.0% to $15.27, and SLW by 1.5% to $40.73.
(Get analysis and rankings on over 90 senior and junior gold and silver mining stocks at GoldAlert Pro – http://pro.goldalert.com)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown