Jennifer Lawrence Is Considered A 'Fat Actress': 'The Hunger Games' Star Talks Weight In Elle Magazine
By Amethyst Tate | November 9, 2012 5:51 AM EST
Jennifer Lawrence reveals in the latest issue of Elle magazine that she is obese -- at least by Hollywood standards.
“In Hollywood, I’m obese. I’m considered a fat actress,” Lawrence says in the interview accompanying her spread, although she is a healthy size and certainly not overweight.
At only 22 years old, Lawrence reached superstardom with her role as Katniss in the blockbuster film "The Hunger Games."
“I eat like a caveman,” Lawrence admits, referring to her large appetite. “I’ll be the only actress who doesn’t have anorexia rumors.”
While it should be admired that Lawrence is not giving into Hollywood’s restrictive view of beauty, the actress still faced criticism for her weight when "The Hunger Games" was released.
Manohla Dargis of the New York Times critiqued her shape, writing that “a few years ago Ms. Lawrence might have looked hungry enough to play Katniss, but now, at 21, her seductive, womanly figure makes a bad fit for a dystopian fantasy about a people starved into submission.”
Many actresses in Hollywood have succumbed to the pressure to lose weight as a result of negative comments or unflattering pictures. Young starlets such as Lindsay Lohan, Mary-Kate Olsen, Hilary Duff and Nicole Richie are just a few of the many women who faced anorexia rumors due to startling weight loss during their careers.
But Lawrence tells Elle magazine that nothing could persuade her to lose weight, not even a movie role.
“I'm never going to starve myself for a part. I keep waiting for that one role to come along that scares me enough into dieting, and it just can’t happen. I'm invincible,” she said.
Part of the reason Lawrence has a healthier outlook on weight than most women in Hollywood is due to her young female audience.
“I don’t want little girls to be like, 'Oh, I want to look like Katniss, so I’m going to skip dinner.’ That’s something that I was really conscious of during training, when you’re trying to get your body to look exactly right. I was trying to get my body to look fit and strong, not thin and underfed.”
Read the rest of Jennifer Lawrence’s interview at elle.com.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft