Jennifer Lawrence Is Considered A 'Fat Actress': 'The Hunger Games' Star Talks Weight In Elle Magazine
By Amethyst Tate | November 9, 2012 5:51 AM EST
Jennifer Lawrence reveals in the latest issue of Elle magazine that she is obese -- at least by Hollywood standards.
“In Hollywood, I’m obese. I’m considered a fat actress,” Lawrence says in the interview accompanying her spread, although she is a healthy size and certainly not overweight.
At only 22 years old, Lawrence reached superstardom with her role as Katniss in the blockbuster film "The Hunger Games."
“I eat like a caveman,” Lawrence admits, referring to her large appetite. “I’ll be the only actress who doesn’t have anorexia rumors.”
While it should be admired that Lawrence is not giving into Hollywood’s restrictive view of beauty, the actress still faced criticism for her weight when "The Hunger Games" was released.
Manohla Dargis of the New York Times critiqued her shape, writing that “a few years ago Ms. Lawrence might have looked hungry enough to play Katniss, but now, at 21, her seductive, womanly figure makes a bad fit for a dystopian fantasy about a people starved into submission.”
Many actresses in Hollywood have succumbed to the pressure to lose weight as a result of negative comments or unflattering pictures. Young starlets such as Lindsay Lohan, Mary-Kate Olsen, Hilary Duff and Nicole Richie are just a few of the many women who faced anorexia rumors due to startling weight loss during their careers.
But Lawrence tells Elle magazine that nothing could persuade her to lose weight, not even a movie role.
“I'm never going to starve myself for a part. I keep waiting for that one role to come along that scares me enough into dieting, and it just can’t happen. I'm invincible,” she said.
Part of the reason Lawrence has a healthier outlook on weight than most women in Hollywood is due to her young female audience.
“I don’t want little girls to be like, 'Oh, I want to look like Katniss, so I’m going to skip dinner.’ That’s something that I was really conscious of during training, when you’re trying to get your body to look exactly right. I was trying to get my body to look fit and strong, not thin and underfed.”
Read the rest of Jennifer Lawrence’s interview at elle.com.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy: Alleged Miscarriage Makes Prince William and Prince Harry Somber - Reports
- Beyonce &Jay Z Marriage Story: Bey Not Attracted to Jay, Married Him for Professional Growth - Reports
- Kendra Wilkinson's Divorce Troubles: Hank Baskett Cheated Before Allegedly Caught with Transexual Model - Reports
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers, Speculations: Stana Katic in More ‘Beast’ Action, Nathan Fillion Mulls Caskett Wedding Schedule
- Khloe Kardashian Feels her Failed Marriage with Lamar Odom Helped Cause Rob Kardashian's Depression
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Jennifer Lopez and Her Wild 45th Birthday Party: How JLo’s Life-Size Birthday Cake from SamiCakes Boutique Was Made
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015