Jennifer Lawrence Is Considered A 'Fat Actress': 'The Hunger Games' Star Talks Weight In Elle Magazine
By Amethyst Tate | November 9, 2012 5:51 AM EST
Jennifer Lawrence reveals in the latest issue of Elle magazine that she is obese -- at least by Hollywood standards.
“In Hollywood, I’m obese. I’m considered a fat actress,” Lawrence says in the interview accompanying her spread, although she is a healthy size and certainly not overweight.
At only 22 years old, Lawrence reached superstardom with her role as Katniss in the blockbuster film "The Hunger Games."
“I eat like a caveman,” Lawrence admits, referring to her large appetite. “I’ll be the only actress who doesn’t have anorexia rumors.”
While it should be admired that Lawrence is not giving into Hollywood’s restrictive view of beauty, the actress still faced criticism for her weight when "The Hunger Games" was released.
Manohla Dargis of the New York Times critiqued her shape, writing that “a few years ago Ms. Lawrence might have looked hungry enough to play Katniss, but now, at 21, her seductive, womanly figure makes a bad fit for a dystopian fantasy about a people starved into submission.”
Many actresses in Hollywood have succumbed to the pressure to lose weight as a result of negative comments or unflattering pictures. Young starlets such as Lindsay Lohan, Mary-Kate Olsen, Hilary Duff and Nicole Richie are just a few of the many women who faced anorexia rumors due to startling weight loss during their careers.
But Lawrence tells Elle magazine that nothing could persuade her to lose weight, not even a movie role.
“I'm never going to starve myself for a part. I keep waiting for that one role to come along that scares me enough into dieting, and it just can’t happen. I'm invincible,” she said.
Part of the reason Lawrence has a healthier outlook on weight than most women in Hollywood is due to her young female audience.
“I don’t want little girls to be like, 'Oh, I want to look like Katniss, so I’m going to skip dinner.’ That’s something that I was really conscious of during training, when you’re trying to get your body to look exactly right. I was trying to get my body to look fit and strong, not thin and underfed.”
Read the rest of Jennifer Lawrence’s interview at elle.com.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- "Game of Thrones" Season 5 Spoilers -- Arya Stark’s New Costume, Mace Tyrell And Tycho Spotted On The Sets
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Sept. 19, 2014: Hope Needs To Decide If She Will Stay With Wyatt Or Go With Liam [WATCH VIDEO]
- ‘Mad Men’ Season 7 [Final Season] Update: Jon Hamm Talks About Surprises And Things Looking Up
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Update: Laurina Talks About Her Exit, Jessica’s Acting Background Revealed
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde’s Freedom: Hollywood People Oppose TPB Founder’s Imprisonment
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1