Jennifer Lawrence Is Considered A 'Fat Actress': 'The Hunger Games' Star Talks Weight In Elle Magazine
By Amethyst Tate | November 9, 2012 5:51 AM EST
Jennifer Lawrence reveals in the latest issue of Elle magazine that she is obese -- at least by Hollywood standards.
“In Hollywood, I’m obese. I’m considered a fat actress,” Lawrence says in the interview accompanying her spread, although she is a healthy size and certainly not overweight.
At only 22 years old, Lawrence reached superstardom with her role as Katniss in the blockbuster film "The Hunger Games."
“I eat like a caveman,” Lawrence admits, referring to her large appetite. “I’ll be the only actress who doesn’t have anorexia rumors.”
While it should be admired that Lawrence is not giving into Hollywood’s restrictive view of beauty, the actress still faced criticism for her weight when "The Hunger Games" was released.
Manohla Dargis of the New York Times critiqued her shape, writing that “a few years ago Ms. Lawrence might have looked hungry enough to play Katniss, but now, at 21, her seductive, womanly figure makes a bad fit for a dystopian fantasy about a people starved into submission.”
Many actresses in Hollywood have succumbed to the pressure to lose weight as a result of negative comments or unflattering pictures. Young starlets such as Lindsay Lohan, Mary-Kate Olsen, Hilary Duff and Nicole Richie are just a few of the many women who faced anorexia rumors due to startling weight loss during their careers.
But Lawrence tells Elle magazine that nothing could persuade her to lose weight, not even a movie role.
“I'm never going to starve myself for a part. I keep waiting for that one role to come along that scares me enough into dieting, and it just can’t happen. I'm invincible,” she said.
Part of the reason Lawrence has a healthier outlook on weight than most women in Hollywood is due to her young female audience.
“I don’t want little girls to be like, 'Oh, I want to look like Katniss, so I’m going to skip dinner.’ That’s something that I was really conscious of during training, when you’re trying to get your body to look exactly right. I was trying to get my body to look fit and strong, not thin and underfed.”
Read the rest of Jennifer Lawrence’s interview at elle.com.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 24, 2014: Katie Spills Ridge's Secret Plan While Eric's Announcement Causes A Huge Furor [WATCH VIDEO]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 3 Major Spoilers: Death Count, The Terminus Residents’ Fate Plus Father Gabriel's Past
- ‘Star Wars: Episode 7’ Jungle Stormtroopers On Rampage – Leaked Images [Spoilers]
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Oct. 27-31, 2014: As Halloween Draws Near, Forrester Creations Will Reel From Eric's Shocking Decision And The Rest Will Scramble To Make Their Plans Successful [WATCH VIDEO]
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine