Jennifer Lawrence Is Considered A 'Fat Actress': 'The Hunger Games' Star Talks Weight In Elle Magazine
By Amethyst Tate | November 9, 2012 5:51 AM EST
Jennifer Lawrence reveals in the latest issue of Elle magazine that she is obese -- at least by Hollywood standards.
“In Hollywood, I’m obese. I’m considered a fat actress,” Lawrence says in the interview accompanying her spread, although she is a healthy size and certainly not overweight.
At only 22 years old, Lawrence reached superstardom with her role as Katniss in the blockbuster film "The Hunger Games."
“I eat like a caveman,” Lawrence admits, referring to her large appetite. “I’ll be the only actress who doesn’t have anorexia rumors.”
While it should be admired that Lawrence is not giving into Hollywood’s restrictive view of beauty, the actress still faced criticism for her weight when "The Hunger Games" was released.
Manohla Dargis of the New York Times critiqued her shape, writing that “a few years ago Ms. Lawrence might have looked hungry enough to play Katniss, but now, at 21, her seductive, womanly figure makes a bad fit for a dystopian fantasy about a people starved into submission.”
Many actresses in Hollywood have succumbed to the pressure to lose weight as a result of negative comments or unflattering pictures. Young starlets such as Lindsay Lohan, Mary-Kate Olsen, Hilary Duff and Nicole Richie are just a few of the many women who faced anorexia rumors due to startling weight loss during their careers.
But Lawrence tells Elle magazine that nothing could persuade her to lose weight, not even a movie role.
“I'm never going to starve myself for a part. I keep waiting for that one role to come along that scares me enough into dieting, and it just can’t happen. I'm invincible,” she said.
Part of the reason Lawrence has a healthier outlook on weight than most women in Hollywood is due to her young female audience.
“I don’t want little girls to be like, 'Oh, I want to look like Katniss, so I’m going to skip dinner.’ That’s something that I was really conscious of during training, when you’re trying to get your body to look exactly right. I was trying to get my body to look fit and strong, not thin and underfed.”
Read the rest of Jennifer Lawrence’s interview at elle.com.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China