Ghana: Accra's Collapsed Melcom Shopping Centre ‘Did Not Have Safety Inspection’
By Ewan Palmer | November 9, 2012 4:31 AM EST
Authorities have blamed faulty construction for the collapse of a multi-story shopping centre in the Ghana capital of Accra which killed at least nine people and trapped dozens more.
Officials have said the Melcom shopping centre did not have the necessary permit and had not passed a safety inspection.
President John Dramani Mahama visited the scene of the tragedy, saying those responsible for the negligence "will pay a price".
The building collapsed just nine months after it had been constructed.
"The foundation was not good enough," she said, adding that crews worked in shifts through the night to search for other possible victims.
Magnus Quarshie, vice president of the Ghana Institution of Engineering said: "They [Melcom] didn't have a permit, which means that AMA (Accra Municipal Authority) may not have assigned a building inspector.
"From the inspection we have had, we can see it's a structural failure. We can tell the concrete mix was not to the specifications we require."
A rescue operation is currently continuing in the Achimota neighbourhood of Accra. Around 70 survivors have so far been pulled out from the rubble. It is not known how many people are still trapped inside.
A statement on Melcom Ltd's Facebook page said it had only rented the building.
It said: "We are doing everything possible to see that help reaches those who need it. Our heartfelt condolences and deepest sympathies goes to the families of those who may have lost their lives."
Mahama said he has suspended his electoral campaign for next month's poll and referred to the incident as "a tragedy for Ghana".
He said: "I decided to call off my campaign to come and have first-hand information about the incident," he said when visiting the site on Wednesday.
"A committee will be set up to investigate the cause of the accident, and whoever is found culpable will be dealt with."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'