Ghana: Accra's Collapsed Melcom Shopping Centre ‘Did Not Have Safety Inspection’
By Ewan Palmer | November 9, 2012 4:31 AM EST
Authorities have blamed faulty construction for the collapse of a multi-story shopping centre in the Ghana capital of Accra which killed at least nine people and trapped dozens more.
Officials have said the Melcom shopping centre did not have the necessary permit and had not passed a safety inspection.
President John Dramani Mahama visited the scene of the tragedy, saying those responsible for the negligence "will pay a price".
The building collapsed just nine months after it had been constructed.
"The foundation was not good enough," she said, adding that crews worked in shifts through the night to search for other possible victims.
Magnus Quarshie, vice president of the Ghana Institution of Engineering said: "They [Melcom] didn't have a permit, which means that AMA (Accra Municipal Authority) may not have assigned a building inspector.
"From the inspection we have had, we can see it's a structural failure. We can tell the concrete mix was not to the specifications we require."
A rescue operation is currently continuing in the Achimota neighbourhood of Accra. Around 70 survivors have so far been pulled out from the rubble. It is not known how many people are still trapped inside.
A statement on Melcom Ltd's Facebook page said it had only rented the building.
It said: "We are doing everything possible to see that help reaches those who need it. Our heartfelt condolences and deepest sympathies goes to the families of those who may have lost their lives."
Mahama said he has suspended his electoral campaign for next month's poll and referred to the incident as "a tragedy for Ghana".
He said: "I decided to call off my campaign to come and have first-hand information about the incident," he said when visiting the site on Wednesday.
"A committee will be set up to investigate the cause of the accident, and whoever is found culpable will be dealt with."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet