Ghana: Accra's Collapsed Melcom Shopping Centre ‘Did Not Have Safety Inspection’
By Ewan Palmer | November 9, 2012 4:31 AM EST
Authorities have blamed faulty construction for the collapse of a multi-story shopping centre in the Ghana capital of Accra which killed at least nine people and trapped dozens more.
Officials have said the Melcom shopping centre did not have the necessary permit and had not passed a safety inspection.
President John Dramani Mahama visited the scene of the tragedy, saying those responsible for the negligence "will pay a price".
The building collapsed just nine months after it had been constructed.
"The foundation was not good enough," she said, adding that crews worked in shifts through the night to search for other possible victims.
Magnus Quarshie, vice president of the Ghana Institution of Engineering said: "They [Melcom] didn't have a permit, which means that AMA (Accra Municipal Authority) may not have assigned a building inspector.
"From the inspection we have had, we can see it's a structural failure. We can tell the concrete mix was not to the specifications we require."
A rescue operation is currently continuing in the Achimota neighbourhood of Accra. Around 70 survivors have so far been pulled out from the rubble. It is not known how many people are still trapped inside.
A statement on Melcom Ltd's Facebook page said it had only rented the building.
It said: "We are doing everything possible to see that help reaches those who need it. Our heartfelt condolences and deepest sympathies goes to the families of those who may have lost their lives."
Mahama said he has suspended his electoral campaign for next month's poll and referred to the incident as "a tragedy for Ghana".
He said: "I decided to call off my campaign to come and have first-hand information about the incident," he said when visiting the site on Wednesday.
"A committee will be set up to investigate the cause of the accident, and whoever is found culpable will be dealt with."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James