Four Birmingham Prison Officers Injured after Glass Attack by Inmate at G4S-Run Jail
By Ewan Palmer | November 9, 2012 1:49 AM EST
Four prison officers have been injured during an altercation with an inmate at the G4S-run Birmingham Prison.
The officers, who are members of the prison's healthcare unit, were attacked by an inmate with what is thought to have been a shard of glass.
Two of the staff sustained serious cuts following the attack. One of the officers is believed to require surgery to save his arm from amputation.
A spokesman for the security firm said: "G4S has confirmed that four members of staff were injured during an incident at the prison yesterday morning.
"The staff, all members of the prison's healthcare unit, were wounded in an altercation with a prisoner on remand, with two staff receiving serious lacerations.
"All staff were transferred to local hospitals for treatment. The prisoner has been contained.
He added: "We have launched an immediate investigation into the circumstances surrounding this attack.
"Our thoughts are with our staff at this time."
The news of the attack came as G4S were told it had lost its contract to run Wolds Prison in East Yorkshire.
The firm, which failed to provide enough staff for the London 2012 Olympics, said it was "disappointed" by the announcements.
A spokesperson for the firm said: "We look forward to discussing the contract award decision with the Ministry of Justice within the next few days to determine why we were unsuccessful."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine