Four Birmingham Prison Officers Injured after Glass Attack by Inmate at G4S-Run Jail
By Ewan Palmer | November 9, 2012 1:49 AM EST
Four prison officers have been injured during an altercation with an inmate at the G4S-run Birmingham Prison.
The officers, who are members of the prison's healthcare unit, were attacked by an inmate with what is thought to have been a shard of glass.
Two of the staff sustained serious cuts following the attack. One of the officers is believed to require surgery to save his arm from amputation.
A spokesman for the security firm said: "G4S has confirmed that four members of staff were injured during an incident at the prison yesterday morning.
"The staff, all members of the prison's healthcare unit, were wounded in an altercation with a prisoner on remand, with two staff receiving serious lacerations.
"All staff were transferred to local hospitals for treatment. The prisoner has been contained.
He added: "We have launched an immediate investigation into the circumstances surrounding this attack.
"Our thoughts are with our staff at this time."
The news of the attack came as G4S were told it had lost its contract to run Wolds Prison in East Yorkshire.
The firm, which failed to provide enough staff for the London 2012 Olympics, said it was "disappointed" by the announcements.
A spokesperson for the firm said: "We look forward to discussing the contract award decision with the Ministry of Justice within the next few days to determine why we were unsuccessful."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales