Four Birmingham Prison Officers Injured after Glass Attack by Inmate at G4S-Run Jail
By Ewan Palmer | November 9, 2012 1:49 AM EST
Four prison officers have been injured during an altercation with an inmate at the G4S-run Birmingham Prison.
The officers, who are members of the prison's healthcare unit, were attacked by an inmate with what is thought to have been a shard of glass.
Two of the staff sustained serious cuts following the attack. One of the officers is believed to require surgery to save his arm from amputation.
A spokesman for the security firm said: "G4S has confirmed that four members of staff were injured during an incident at the prison yesterday morning.
"The staff, all members of the prison's healthcare unit, were wounded in an altercation with a prisoner on remand, with two staff receiving serious lacerations.
"All staff were transferred to local hospitals for treatment. The prisoner has been contained.
He added: "We have launched an immediate investigation into the circumstances surrounding this attack.
"Our thoughts are with our staff at this time."
The news of the attack came as G4S were told it had lost its contract to run Wolds Prison in East Yorkshire.
The firm, which failed to provide enough staff for the London 2012 Olympics, said it was "disappointed" by the announcements.
A spokesperson for the firm said: "We look forward to discussing the contract award decision with the Ministry of Justice within the next few days to determine why we were unsuccessful."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2