Trade deficit narrows as exports climb
November 9, 2012 12:49 AM EST
The U.S. trade deficit narrowed in September as exports increased, suggesting the economy expanded more than previously believed in the third quarter.
The seasonally adjusted monthly trade gap fell to $41.55 billion, the smallest deficit since December 2010, the Commerce Department said on Thursday. Analysts were expecting the trade gap would widen to $45.0 billion.
The reading suggests exports did more to boost economic growth in the third quarter than previously believed. Gross domestic product expanded 2.0 percent in the period, according to initial estimates.
U.S. exports rose 3.1 percent in September, the biggest increase in more than a year despite a debt crisis in Europe that has weighed on the global economy.
Exports to the European Union were flat compared to the prior month, although the figures were not adjusted for seasonal swings. Unadjusted exports to major trade partners Canada and Mexico fell in the same period.
U.S. imports rose 1.5 percent in September when seasonally adjusted.
The trade deficit with China expanded in September to $29.1 billion from $28.7 billion a month earlier. The government does not seasonally adjust that reading.
The average price for imported oil rose in September to $98.88 per barrel, although the quantity of oil imports fell.
(Reporting by Jason Lange; Editing by Andrea Ricci)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports