Tottenham Striker Puts Barcelona to the Sword in NextGen Action
By Adrian Back | November 8, 2012 11:13 PM EST
Andre Villas-Boas was reminded of the quality he has in the Tottenham academy as Shaquille Coulthirst hit a stunning hat-trick to hand the Under-19 side an impressive 4-1 victory over Barcelona in the NextGen series.
It was a bad night for Barcelona as their senior side was shocked by Celtic in the Champions League, but few would have expected Tottenham to travel to Spain and secure such an emphatic victory.
Barcelona had already secured a 2-0 win at White Hart Lane earlier this season and would have expected to once again assert their dominance over the north London side who drew 1-1 with Anderlecht in their last NextGen fixture.
However, it was Tottenham that secured an emphatic win thanks in no small part to the performances of Coulthirst and winger Alex Prtichard. The duo scored all four goals and continued their superb form in the competition.
Coulthirst was the man that orchestrated the win as he fired a perfect hat-trick that included two goals in just four minutes.
His hat-trick came on the hour mark as he thumped a header home, before Pritchard capped off an excellent display be grabbing a fourth.
Barcelona managed to find a late consolation when Cristian fired home with just two minutes remaining, but it was Tottenham that made the headlines and moved level on points with the Spanish giants.
Tottenham coach Alex Inglethorpe was quick to praise the display of the Under-19 side and reserved special mention to the performance of Pritchard.
"We were outstanding," Inglethorpe told the Tottenham website. "Barcelona bossed the first 20 minutes and I thought we were a little like a rabbit caught in the headlights, we froze, but the important thing is that we didn't give up during that spell.
"That goal changed the momentum in the game. It rocked them and at the same time, gave us belief and confidence and four minutes later, we scored the second goal from a similar situation, the ball was loose in the penalty area and Shaq fired home this time with his left foot.
"The fourth goal was a fantastic counter-attack down the right, slick play as Kenny McEvoy passed inside to Alex Pritchard and he danced around a couple of challenges and smashed home from about eight yards out.
"It was a classy goal from a player who impressed all night. The only blot on the copybook was conceding a goal two minutes from time.
"Overall, we were excellent. We were confident we could produce a performance here and the players have done it in style."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Blows Out Novak Djokovic as Top Contender For US Open Series – Tennis TV Poll
- Roger Federer Brings Danger To Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal at US Open
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- Serena Williams Makes History; Among Most Dominant World's No.1 in History
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide