Arsenal Striker Reveals Ronaldo Inspiration
By Vanessa Keller | November 8, 2012 11:13 PM EST
Lukas Podolski has revealed that as a child he looked up to Brazilian legend Ronaldo, with the Arsenal striker also joking that he'd very happily take the other Ronaldo, as in Cristiano Ronaldo's right foot to accompany his left.
Podolski has settled quickly into life at the Emirates since his move from Cologne, and the Germany international has scored four times so far this season for the Gunners.
When asked which footballer inspired him the most when he was young, he answered: "When I was young, it was Ronaldo. I looked up to him."
Podolski also claimed he'd rather take former Manchester United Cristiano's foot than Messi's, saying: "[I'd take] Ronaldo's right foot because I have a good left foot!"
Podolski had a brilliant run at Cologne before his move to Arsenal in the summer, scoring 20 goals for both club and country in his final season and having a great impact on the club's fight to stay in the Bundesliga.
Unfortunately it wasn't enough to keep the side in the top-flight in Germany, as they were relegated. He made the move to Arsenal early on in the summer.
While many within the club insisted that it wasn't to replace Robin van Persie, who at the time was believed to be in protracted contract talks with the club, but after the prolific striker's departure, Podolski has had to shoulder a great deal of pressure alongside Olivier Giroud to keep the club in the mix for a top four spot.
Giroud, who also participated in the Q&A, said that he saw Thierry Henry as a benchmark for how good a striker can be for Arsenal, as the Frenchman continues to find his way in north London.
"There were lots of very good players [in Arsenal's history]," he said. "My favourite is Henry. He had a very good time and scored so many goals."
He added that he believed his best goal so far this season was in the Champions League, saying: "I think the goal I scored in Schalke is the most important. It was my first in the Champions League with a good assist."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time