Arsenal Striker Reveals Ronaldo Inspiration
By Vanessa Keller | November 8, 2012 11:13 PM EST
Lukas Podolski has revealed that as a child he looked up to Brazilian legend Ronaldo, with the Arsenal striker also joking that he'd very happily take the other Ronaldo, as in Cristiano Ronaldo's right foot to accompany his left.
Podolski has settled quickly into life at the Emirates since his move from Cologne, and the Germany international has scored four times so far this season for the Gunners.
When asked which footballer inspired him the most when he was young, he answered: "When I was young, it was Ronaldo. I looked up to him."
Podolski also claimed he'd rather take former Manchester United Cristiano's foot than Messi's, saying: "[I'd take] Ronaldo's right foot because I have a good left foot!"
Podolski had a brilliant run at Cologne before his move to Arsenal in the summer, scoring 20 goals for both club and country in his final season and having a great impact on the club's fight to stay in the Bundesliga.
Unfortunately it wasn't enough to keep the side in the top-flight in Germany, as they were relegated. He made the move to Arsenal early on in the summer.
While many within the club insisted that it wasn't to replace Robin van Persie, who at the time was believed to be in protracted contract talks with the club, but after the prolific striker's departure, Podolski has had to shoulder a great deal of pressure alongside Olivier Giroud to keep the club in the mix for a top four spot.
Giroud, who also participated in the Q&A, said that he saw Thierry Henry as a benchmark for how good a striker can be for Arsenal, as the Frenchman continues to find his way in north London.
"There were lots of very good players [in Arsenal's history]," he said. "My favourite is Henry. He had a very good time and scored so many goals."
He added that he believed his best goal so far this season was in the Champions League, saying: "I think the goal I scored in Schalke is the most important. It was my first in the Champions League with a good assist."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related