Wilshere Desperate for Arsenal to Offer Walcott New Deal
By Adrian Back | November 8, 2012 10:00 PM EST
Jack WIilshere wants to make sure Arsenal do not allow Theo Walcott to leave the club by offering him a new long-term contract.
The 20-year-old has witnessed a number of Arsenal players leave in recent seasons and is desperate for the situation to change. Robin van Persie and Alex Song followed Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri out of the Emirates and it has seemed as though Walcott could be next.
Walcott's current deal expires at the end of the season and manger Arsene Wenger has promised that the situation will be settled before Christmas.
However, with Walcott once again being overlooked for the crunch tie against Manchester United last weekend, rumours intensified that he would look to leave the club in January.
With the contract debacle set to continue for the next two months, Wilshere has urged Arsenal to act and offer the England international a new deal.
"Theo has been great," Wilshere told The Sun. "His future is down to him and the boss to sort out. I hope he does sign. He has been great for us. He's an English lad and great to have around."
Walcott did start for Arsenal in the 2-2 draw with Schalke in the Champions League and he further highlighted his importance to the side by scoring the first goal.
Meanwhile, Wilshere has revealed he never doubted he would return to competitive action, despite being forced out of football for 17 months with various injuries.
"I don't think there was a point where I thought I'm not coming back," Wilshere told the official Arsenal website. "I always thought I could come back.
"It was a serious injury, of course it kept me out for so long, but it wasn't the result of a bad tackle or anything where it was career-threatening. It was just something that happened over time.
"I knew it would take time to heal and then I had a few setbacks. Obviously you question yourself and say 'am I going to come back to the level that I was at before?' Hopefully now I can get back to training well."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group A Preview, Prediction, Roster, Schedule: Spain and Brazil To Clinch Top 2 Spots, France, Serbia, And Iran To Battle For Remaining Slots
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Team Preview: Puerto Rico Roster, Key Players And Schedule
- Kevin Love Tells Minnesota Timberwolves Owner Glen Taylor To Mind His Own Team
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Google Nexus 6 Release May Be the New Google Nexus X Smartphone as New Details Emerge