Fully Charged: Robert Llewellyn Simplifies How the National Grid Works
By Channelflip | November 8, 2012 9:37 PM EST
Ever wondered how exactly the UK's National Grid works? Then do not miss our latest instalment of Fully Charged.
In this week's episode, Robert Llewellyn talks to the National Grid's Nigel Williams to find out exactly what challenges the Grid faces in our rapidly changing world and how it plans to utilise new sources of power.
Llewellyn meets the technicians and engineers who work day and night to ensure we could boil a kettle when we flick a switch. During this educational experience, Llewellyn comes across with some of the very big problems they are dealing with, something as massive, complex and deeply embedded in our lives as the national grid takes a long time to respond.
Williams explains that in order to make use of the vast amount of renewable resources available to us, the Grid needs to adapt to become a Smarter Grid.
The National Grid is also very keen on electric cars, particularly if they are charged at night. Anyone who drives an electric car soon learns that this is the time to charge them; electricity is much cheaper if you have a night-time tariff and when you wake up in the morning you have a "full tank".
Watch this episode in full and as always, share your thoughts with us on Twitter @BritishGas.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying