Fully Charged: Robert Llewellyn Simplifies How the National Grid Works
By Channelflip | November 8, 2012 9:37 PM EST
Ever wondered how exactly the UK's National Grid works? Then do not miss our latest instalment of Fully Charged.
In this week's episode, Robert Llewellyn talks to the National Grid's Nigel Williams to find out exactly what challenges the Grid faces in our rapidly changing world and how it plans to utilise new sources of power.
Llewellyn meets the technicians and engineers who work day and night to ensure we could boil a kettle when we flick a switch. During this educational experience, Llewellyn comes across with some of the very big problems they are dealing with, something as massive, complex and deeply embedded in our lives as the national grid takes a long time to respond.
Williams explains that in order to make use of the vast amount of renewable resources available to us, the Grid needs to adapt to become a Smarter Grid.
The National Grid is also very keen on electric cars, particularly if they are charged at night. Anyone who drives an electric car soon learns that this is the time to charge them; electricity is much cheaper if you have a night-time tariff and when you wake up in the morning you have a "full tank".
Watch this episode in full and as always, share your thoughts with us on Twitter @BritishGas.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: Australia Mulls To Review Airport Security Policy, Could Allow Scissors, Metal Cutlery Back In Planes
- With Falling Oil Prices All Eyes On OPEC Meeting
- This Is How Obesity Weighs Down Global Economy By 2 Trillion Dollars Every Year
- Consumer Alert: Retailer Simons Goes Out Of Quebec, To Open Five Stores Across Canada
- Signs That You Are A Smartphone Zombie (And The Dangers This Poses)
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]