Fully Charged: Robert Llewellyn Simplifies How the National Grid Works
By Channelflip | November 8, 2012 9:37 PM EST
Ever wondered how exactly the UK's National Grid works? Then do not miss our latest instalment of Fully Charged.
In this week's episode, Robert Llewellyn talks to the National Grid's Nigel Williams to find out exactly what challenges the Grid faces in our rapidly changing world and how it plans to utilise new sources of power.
Llewellyn meets the technicians and engineers who work day and night to ensure we could boil a kettle when we flick a switch. During this educational experience, Llewellyn comes across with some of the very big problems they are dealing with, something as massive, complex and deeply embedded in our lives as the national grid takes a long time to respond.
Williams explains that in order to make use of the vast amount of renewable resources available to us, the Grid needs to adapt to become a Smarter Grid.
The National Grid is also very keen on electric cars, particularly if they are charged at night. Anyone who drives an electric car soon learns that this is the time to charge them; electricity is much cheaper if you have a night-time tariff and when you wake up in the morning you have a "full tank".
Watch this episode in full and as always, share your thoughts with us on Twitter @BritishGas.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Fears Of Infection Spread Prompt Some US Hospitals To Refuse Ebola Patients
- Readers Slam a Book Showing That US Wealth And Power Rests on Slave Labour
- LG G Watch R To Be Available Globally Starting With Europe, North America And Asia Through Retail Sites And Play Store
- Young Teen Fighter Says ISIS Uses Drugs On Suicide Bombers To Get Them Perform The Act
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine