IAG Considers Buying Spanish Carrier Vueling
By Jerin Mathew | November 8, 2012 9:17 PM EST
International Consolidated Airlines Group, the owner of British Airways and Iberia, is considering acquisition of the remaining shares in Spanish budget airline Vueling in a move to bolster its business in the country that was hit by the eurozone crisis.
The company already holds a 45.85 percent stake in Vueling through Iberia in Spain.
Having a market capitalisation of €171m (£136.4m), Vueling is Spain's second-largest airline after Iberia. It operates about 150 medium- and short-range routes to 44 cities located in Spain and Europe and has seven bases in Spain and three international bases.
"The IAG board will be considering the matter tomorrow but no decision to make an offer has yet been reached nor, accordingly, on any of its potential terms, including in particular the price," the company said in a statement.
The company's move is in line with its plans to improve its Spanish business, which has been dented by the crisis in Europe. Iberia's airline traffic continued to decline due to the crisis and competition. The company is planning up to 7,000 job cuts at Iberia because of the crisis, according to Reuters.
IAG will release its third-quarter results on 9 November, and is expected to announce restructuring plans for Iberia, which contributes 27 percent of the group's external turnover. For the half-year ended August, operating losses at Iberia widened to €263m (£209.8m).
Vueling could be combined with the Iberia Express business, despite the risk of cost inflation, according to analyst John Strickland at JLS Consulting in London, Bloomberg News reported. Iberia Express operates in the budget airline segment.
Europe's biggest airline carriers Air France-KLM Group and Deutsche Lufthansa earlier reported better-than-expected profits. Air France is looking to cut 1,300 posts at its Dutch unit in addition to 5,000 already going from the larger French business. Lufthansa is scrapping 3,500 administrative positions and about 1,000 posts in catering.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
- Kate Middleton, Kelly Brook Have 'Most Perfect Breasts' While Kim Kardashian, Rihanna Have 'Least Desirable' Breasts, New Survey Finds [SEE PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
Join the Conversation
- Pope Francis To Simplify Annulments In Catholic Church
- Ebola Update: US CDC Expects More Cases By End Of Jan 2015, Advises Airlines To ‘Treat All Body Fluids As Infectious'
- Roubini Global Economics Forecasts 20% Decline In Value Of Aussie Dollar, Economic Slowdown
- B.C. Teachers Strike: Public Classes for Half a Billion Kids Finally Start
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6: Performance, Sales, iOS 8 and Android 5.0 L