Liverpool to Bid for Defender as Rodgers Identifies Carragher Successor – Report
By Adrian Back | November 8, 2012 9:09 PM EST
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is already assessing a number of targets for the January transfer window and has made Reading defender Alex Pearce one of his top priorities.
Rodgers knows the defender well from his time as manager of Reading where he made the young centre-back his captain and has continued to chart his progress.
The Daily Mail believes that Rodgers sees Pearce as the type of defender that can fill the boots of veteran Liverpool centre-back Jamie Carragher, who at 34, is coming towards the end of a long and successful playing career.
The Northern Irishman has already brought two former employees to Liverpool, in Fabio Borini and Joe Allen, and is clearly keen to work with players he knows can work in his preferred system.
Liverpool already have an impressive central defensive pairing in Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel, however, it seems as though Rodgers is not happy with the players that are currently in reserve.
Uruguayan Sebastian Coates is yet to really establish himself in the first team, while Scottish defender Danny Wilson has rarely threatened the first team since moving to Liverpool in the summer of 2010.
Pearce may be available to Liverpool at a cut price as he is in the final year of his contract and has shown no signs that he is willing to extend his stay at the Madejski Stadium.
The Mail has suggested that Pearce is unhappy with the contract offer and has therefore been dropped from the side as punishment for not renewing his deal.
The 23-year-old was voted Reading's Player of the Season last year but has now been on the bench for the last seven games in which the club have conceded some 18 goals.
Should Pearce fail to sign a new deal then he would be available on a free transfer in the summer, or at a knock down price in January when Liverpool may look to make an offer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown