Liverpool to Bid for Defender as Rodgers Identifies Carragher Successor – Report
By Adrian Back | November 8, 2012 9:09 PM EST
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is already assessing a number of targets for the January transfer window and has made Reading defender Alex Pearce one of his top priorities.
Rodgers knows the defender well from his time as manager of Reading where he made the young centre-back his captain and has continued to chart his progress.
The Daily Mail believes that Rodgers sees Pearce as the type of defender that can fill the boots of veteran Liverpool centre-back Jamie Carragher, who at 34, is coming towards the end of a long and successful playing career.
The Northern Irishman has already brought two former employees to Liverpool, in Fabio Borini and Joe Allen, and is clearly keen to work with players he knows can work in his preferred system.
Liverpool already have an impressive central defensive pairing in Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel, however, it seems as though Rodgers is not happy with the players that are currently in reserve.
Uruguayan Sebastian Coates is yet to really establish himself in the first team, while Scottish defender Danny Wilson has rarely threatened the first team since moving to Liverpool in the summer of 2010.
Pearce may be available to Liverpool at a cut price as he is in the final year of his contract and has shown no signs that he is willing to extend his stay at the Madejski Stadium.
The Mail has suggested that Pearce is unhappy with the contract offer and has therefore been dropped from the side as punishment for not renewing his deal.
The 23-year-old was voted Reading's Player of the Season last year but has now been on the bench for the last seven games in which the club have conceded some 18 goals.
Should Pearce fail to sign a new deal then he would be available on a free transfer in the summer, or at a knock down price in January when Liverpool may look to make an offer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]