Liverpool to Bid for Defender as Rodgers Identifies Carragher Successor – Report
By Adrian Back | November 8, 2012 9:09 PM EST
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is already assessing a number of targets for the January transfer window and has made Reading defender Alex Pearce one of his top priorities.
Rodgers knows the defender well from his time as manager of Reading where he made the young centre-back his captain and has continued to chart his progress.
The Daily Mail believes that Rodgers sees Pearce as the type of defender that can fill the boots of veteran Liverpool centre-back Jamie Carragher, who at 34, is coming towards the end of a long and successful playing career.
The Northern Irishman has already brought two former employees to Liverpool, in Fabio Borini and Joe Allen, and is clearly keen to work with players he knows can work in his preferred system.
Liverpool already have an impressive central defensive pairing in Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel, however, it seems as though Rodgers is not happy with the players that are currently in reserve.
Uruguayan Sebastian Coates is yet to really establish himself in the first team, while Scottish defender Danny Wilson has rarely threatened the first team since moving to Liverpool in the summer of 2010.
Pearce may be available to Liverpool at a cut price as he is in the final year of his contract and has shown no signs that he is willing to extend his stay at the Madejski Stadium.
The Mail has suggested that Pearce is unhappy with the contract offer and has therefore been dropped from the side as punishment for not renewing his deal.
The 23-year-old was voted Reading's Player of the Season last year but has now been on the bench for the last seven games in which the club have conceded some 18 goals.
Should Pearce fail to sign a new deal then he would be available on a free transfer in the summer, or at a knock down price in January when Liverpool may look to make an offer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish Can't Play in the U.S. Open Due to Drug Testing Issues
- Billy Bob Thornton Want to Play Hodor in Game Of Thrones
- Fukushima Radiation Tests on Waters Along U.S. Coast Yield Negative Results
- Zac Efron Equates Boozing to a Social Stimulant, Admits Why He Checked into Rehab Last Year
- Celebrities Who Stripped Naked for Women's Health