Liverpool to Bid for Defender as Rodgers Identifies Carragher Successor – Report
By Adrian Back | November 8, 2012 9:09 PM EST
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is already assessing a number of targets for the January transfer window and has made Reading defender Alex Pearce one of his top priorities.
Rodgers knows the defender well from his time as manager of Reading where he made the young centre-back his captain and has continued to chart his progress.
The Daily Mail believes that Rodgers sees Pearce as the type of defender that can fill the boots of veteran Liverpool centre-back Jamie Carragher, who at 34, is coming towards the end of a long and successful playing career.
The Northern Irishman has already brought two former employees to Liverpool, in Fabio Borini and Joe Allen, and is clearly keen to work with players he knows can work in his preferred system.
Liverpool already have an impressive central defensive pairing in Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel, however, it seems as though Rodgers is not happy with the players that are currently in reserve.
Uruguayan Sebastian Coates is yet to really establish himself in the first team, while Scottish defender Danny Wilson has rarely threatened the first team since moving to Liverpool in the summer of 2010.
Pearce may be available to Liverpool at a cut price as he is in the final year of his contract and has shown no signs that he is willing to extend his stay at the Madejski Stadium.
The Mail has suggested that Pearce is unhappy with the contract offer and has therefore been dropped from the side as punishment for not renewing his deal.
The 23-year-old was voted Reading's Player of the Season last year but has now been on the bench for the last seven games in which the club have conceded some 18 goals.
Should Pearce fail to sign a new deal then he would be available on a free transfer in the summer, or at a knock down price in January when Liverpool may look to make an offer.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Leaves Ferrari 'For Two Reasons'
- Roger Federer Says He Has Never Seen Rafael Nadal Play So Bad, Wishes That The Spaniard Recuperate Well From Appendicitis
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nick Kyrgios Holds Twitter Q&A, Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time And His Favourite Superhero
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight