Arsenal and Chelsea in Transfer War over Dutch Wonderkid - Report
By Chandrashekar Srinivasan | November 8, 2012 8:47 PM EST
Riechedly Bazoer, the 16 year old central defender from Dutch club PSV Eindhoven, is now the subject of a three-horse transfer race, with Premier League giants Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City having offered the teen a contract.
A Goal.com report indicates Bazoer visited City's training grounds and facilities over the weekend and will now travel to London to talk to officials from the Gunners and the Blues before making his decision.
Bazoer also has the option of remaining in Holland with Eindhoven, something which many, including the club's sporting director Marcel Brands, believe could be best for the player's long-term future. The Dutch club are presently second in the Eredivise, only a point behind leaders FC Twente with 11 games played.
"What is his intention? Is it to develop or go for bigger money in England? You have to ask him and his agent which clubs are interested in him. I don't know and it doesn't matter," Brands explained, adding, "It is his choice and the agent will do their best for the player. The only thing we can do is offer him good possibilities in terms of coaching and prospects."
Brands confirmed the club has offered the player a three-year contract, which according to Dutch rules, is the maximum contract that can be offered to an U18 player. In addition, the fact Fifa rules prohibit transfer fees exceeding €364,000 (£296,000) for academy players means any move for Bazoer will be a gamble definitely worth taking.
Meanwhile, in addition to the complexities of choosing between Arsenal, Chelsea and City, Bazoer may also have to factor in interest from clubs in the Italian Serie A and Spanish La Liga. However, there has been no concrete development from that angle. In any case, Bazoer will face the extra difficulty of learning a new language if he decides to shift to the continent... and that may put off any thoughts of a transfer there for now.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft