Arsenal and Chelsea in Transfer War over Dutch Wonderkid - Report
By Chandrashekar Srinivasan | November 8, 2012 8:47 PM EST
Riechedly Bazoer, the 16 year old central defender from Dutch club PSV Eindhoven, is now the subject of a three-horse transfer race, with Premier League giants Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester City having offered the teen a contract.
A Goal.com report indicates Bazoer visited City's training grounds and facilities over the weekend and will now travel to London to talk to officials from the Gunners and the Blues before making his decision.
Bazoer also has the option of remaining in Holland with Eindhoven, something which many, including the club's sporting director Marcel Brands, believe could be best for the player's long-term future. The Dutch club are presently second in the Eredivise, only a point behind leaders FC Twente with 11 games played.
"What is his intention? Is it to develop or go for bigger money in England? You have to ask him and his agent which clubs are interested in him. I don't know and it doesn't matter," Brands explained, adding, "It is his choice and the agent will do their best for the player. The only thing we can do is offer him good possibilities in terms of coaching and prospects."
Brands confirmed the club has offered the player a three-year contract, which according to Dutch rules, is the maximum contract that can be offered to an U18 player. In addition, the fact Fifa rules prohibit transfer fees exceeding €364,000 (£296,000) for academy players means any move for Bazoer will be a gamble definitely worth taking.
Meanwhile, in addition to the complexities of choosing between Arsenal, Chelsea and City, Bazoer may also have to factor in interest from clubs in the Italian Serie A and Spanish La Liga. However, there has been no concrete development from that angle. In any case, Bazoer will face the extra difficulty of learning a new language if he decides to shift to the continent... and that may put off any thoughts of a transfer there for now.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Striker Disappointed with Cesc Fabregas Sale to Chelsea
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Roman Reigns Vs Randy Orton Match Unexciting, Reigns 'Awful Wrestler No Charisma'
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools