Barack Obama’s Victory Picture Sets New Record on Facebook, Twitter [PHOTOS]
By greeshma m | November 8, 2012 8:38 PM EST
The photo, posted with a tag line "Four more years", showed Obama embracing his wife Michelle in a tight hug. The First Lady was pictured wearing a simple red-and-white checked dress with a blue waist belt. The photo was re-tweeted over 776,311 times and liked over 3,913,224 people on Facebook.
"This Barack Obama photo is the most-liked Facebook photo of all time," the social network announced Wednesday as quoted by the Agence France Press (AFP).
The picture appeared minutes after Obama's defeated Mitt Romney in the Presidential race on Wednesday. The photograph outpaced the record set by the singer Justin Bieber for his tribute to a follower who died of brain cancer. The emotional victory photograph posted by Obama was taken in August in Iowa, reported AFP.
In the recently concluded US elections, social networking sites served as best weapons for the campaign where millions of people came forth to debate on the latest issues plaguing the nation. Obama and his Republican challenger Romney stepped up the campaign on Facebook, Twitter and many other blogging and social networking sites to draw supporters and voters in favor of them.
"The most tweeted about event in U.S. political history," said Twitter spokeswoman Rachael Horwitz according to the Reuters.
"Twitter brought people closer to almost every aspect of the election this year," Horwitz added."From breaking news, to sharing the experience of watching the debates, to interacting directly with the candidates, Twitter became a kind of nationwide caucus."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales