Di Matteo Praises Blues’ Dramatic Champions League Win
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 8, 2012 8:22 PM EST
Chelsea coach Roberto Di Matteo has moved to praise the Blues' after the 3-2 last-gasp home win against Shakhtar Donetsk in a Champions League group stage match. The reigning champions registered a late winner, courtesy Nigerian winger Victor Moses, to go top of Group E, with seven points from four games. The 42- year-old manager described the win a "crucial" one.
"It was crucial for us to win this home game. It was obviously going to be a tough game that would be decided by the little details. They are a very good side and they showed tonight how good they are," the former Chelsea midfielder said after the win, adding, of the group, "It will probably go down to the last game and probably the last kick."
The Ukrainian club shocked last season's title winners 2-1 at the Donbass Arena in Ukraine two weeks ago, with the highly-rated Brazilian trio of Willian, Alex Teixeira and Fernandinho leading the home side. The 24-year-old Willian has long been a transfer target for Roman Abramovich and the London club. His brace at the Bridge, twice putting the visitors in the lead, was a perfect illustration of why he is so highly regarded.
Spanish striker Fernando Torres and Willian's compatriot, Oscar, scored to tie the match at 2-2, before Di Matteo brought Moses off the bench with 10 minutes to go. The 21-year-old, a summer signing from Wigan Athletic, then sealed all three points with a 94th minute header in a match the Blues did not really deserve to win.
"We knew the kind of pressure we were under and it was must-win for us. We didn't want to expose ourselves too much. We knew we could have scored a goal with the last kick and that is what happened. We knew we needed to score a goal probably from a set play. It was good Victor got on the end of it," Di Matteo explained.
The manager claimed his side did put the pressure on the visiting side during the first half of the game but were unable to continue the same during the second-half of the game.
Blues to Sign Defensive Reinforcements
Meanwhile, ESPN reports Chelsea will soon announce the signing of Brazilian right back Wallace for €5.5m (approximately £4.5m). The information is believed to come from a local news outlet but has yet to be confirmed by Stamford Bridge officials. It appears Wallace, 18, who presently plays for Brasileiro side Fluminense, was already partially (40 percent) registered to Chelsea and the £4.5m represents the remaining 60 percent of his value. Wallace will remain with Fluminense until the end of the current Brazilian league season, on loan with the club.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Roger Federer Forced to Take Down Children's Play Area on his Property in Valbella
- WWE SummerSlam: Orton Vs Reigns Match Unexciting, Reigns 'Awful Wrestler No Charisma'
- 5 Sports Stars Who are Also Into Other Sports
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date