Di Matteo Praises Blues’ Dramatic Champions League Win
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 8, 2012 8:22 PM EST
Chelsea coach Roberto Di Matteo has moved to praise the Blues' after the 3-2 last-gasp home win against Shakhtar Donetsk in a Champions League group stage match. The reigning champions registered a late winner, courtesy Nigerian winger Victor Moses, to go top of Group E, with seven points from four games. The 42- year-old manager described the win a "crucial" one.
"It was crucial for us to win this home game. It was obviously going to be a tough game that would be decided by the little details. They are a very good side and they showed tonight how good they are," the former Chelsea midfielder said after the win, adding, of the group, "It will probably go down to the last game and probably the last kick."
The Ukrainian club shocked last season's title winners 2-1 at the Donbass Arena in Ukraine two weeks ago, with the highly-rated Brazilian trio of Willian, Alex Teixeira and Fernandinho leading the home side. The 24-year-old Willian has long been a transfer target for Roman Abramovich and the London club. His brace at the Bridge, twice putting the visitors in the lead, was a perfect illustration of why he is so highly regarded.
Spanish striker Fernando Torres and Willian's compatriot, Oscar, scored to tie the match at 2-2, before Di Matteo brought Moses off the bench with 10 minutes to go. The 21-year-old, a summer signing from Wigan Athletic, then sealed all three points with a 94th minute header in a match the Blues did not really deserve to win.
"We knew the kind of pressure we were under and it was must-win for us. We didn't want to expose ourselves too much. We knew we could have scored a goal with the last kick and that is what happened. We knew we needed to score a goal probably from a set play. It was good Victor got on the end of it," Di Matteo explained.
The manager claimed his side did put the pressure on the visiting side during the first half of the game but were unable to continue the same during the second-half of the game.
Blues to Sign Defensive Reinforcements
Meanwhile, ESPN reports Chelsea will soon announce the signing of Brazilian right back Wallace for €5.5m (approximately £4.5m). The information is believed to come from a local news outlet but has yet to be confirmed by Stamford Bridge officials. It appears Wallace, 18, who presently plays for Brasileiro side Fluminense, was already partially (40 percent) registered to Chelsea and the £4.5m represents the remaining 60 percent of his value. Wallace will remain with Fluminense until the end of the current Brazilian league season, on loan with the club.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Rafael Nadal Set To Overtake Roger Federer Grand Slam Haul By 2017
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Rumours Spice Up as Balotelli is Spotted in New York, where Gunners will Hold Pre-season Camp [PHOTOS]
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports