Arsenal Plot Shock Move for Former Tottenham Midfielder – Report
By Adrian Back | November 8, 2012 8:12 PM EST
Arsenal are believed to be interested in signing Queens Park Rangers midfielder Adel Taarabt as Arsene Wenger looks to bolster his squad in the January transfer window.
The mercurial midfielder has shown glimpses of the immense talent he possesses since leaving Tottenham, but has thus far been unable to find the consistency needed to become one of the best in the Premier League.
QPR fans perhaps witnessed his best form when he fired them to promotion from the Championship as he scored 19 league goals in his 44 appearances and was linked with a move away from Loftus Road.
However, he remained at the club and last season struggled to replicate his form in the top flight as he scored just two league goals in his 27 appearances.
Despite a dreadful start from the west London club who have failed to win a league game this season, Taarabt has shown signs of his best form in recent weeks and has already matched his goal tally from last season.
The Mirror has reported that Arsenal see the midfielder as a potential alternative to Crystal Palace forward Wilfried Zaha who has been repeatedly linked with a move to the Emirates.
Arsenal may struggle to convince Palace to part with the 20-year-old as new manager Ian Holloway looks to secure promotion to the Premier League.
Taarabt would certainly be a surprise transfer candidate as the Moroccan began life in England by playing for Arsenal's bitter rivals Tottenham. He made a total of 16 appearances for Spurs but was never able to convince Harry Redknapp that he deserved a long run in the side.
When he left White Hart Lane he took a parting shot at Tottenham by declaring that he wished he had joined Arsenal when he decided to leave France as a teenager.
"I was going to go to Arsenal and Comolli was there with Wenger," Taarabt told the Evening Standard back in 2010.
"But he went to Tottenham so I went there. That was a big mistake for me. My friends in England - like Armand Traore and Abou Diaby at Arsenal - told me Tottenham were not the right fit for me.
"The big mistake was to sign for Tottenham and not go to another club when I first came over."
An often frustrating character, Taarabt has shown that he has bags of ability and has scored some fantastic goals in his time in England.
However, it would be a major risk for Wenger as the midfielder is known for his hot headed temperament which has seen him clash with numerous managers during his six years in English football.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Recovers $585,000 Gold Rolex Watch Left in a Hotel Restroom
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- American Heavyweight Boxer Amir Mansour Says It’s Disrespectful For 50 Cent To Take Jabs At Floyd Mayweather On Social Media
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza