Google Celebrates Bram Stoker's 165th Birthday with 'Dracula' Doodle[PHOTOS]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 8, 2012 6:24 PM EST
Search Giant Google on Thursday celebrated the 165th birth anniversary of Irish novelist Bram Stoker, by an epitome of his classic gothic novel "Dracula" on its home page.
The latest doodle appeared in tune with Stoker's novel. The letters that make up the word 'Google' are displayed in red, giving the doodle an eerie feel. It also featured Dracula, flashing his fangs, and many other characters of the novel. A crescent-shaped moon and a bat flying overhead Dracula's castle completed the doodle.
Born on Nov 8, 1847, Stoker entered the world of literature with his first novel "The Primrose Path" in 1875. He had authored several books during his lifetime including "The Snake's Pass" and "The Shoulder of Shasta". He is best remembered for creating gothic villain 'Dracula' in 1897.
The epistolary novel did not create much enthusiasm during the first few years after the release. It was only after Stoker's death in 1912 did the book rise to fame. A hundred years since then, his book and the characters in it continue to enthral the world of film and literature.
Stoker inked the character of Dracula after years of research. He studied European folklore and mythological stories of vampires. Before setting off on writing the novel Stoker had met Hungarian writer and traveler Ármin Vámbéry. It was believed that the novel "Dracula" emerged from the dark stories told by Vámbéry.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports