Google Celebrates Bram Stoker's 165th Birthday with 'Dracula' Doodle[PHOTOS]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 8, 2012 6:24 PM EST
Search Giant Google on Thursday celebrated the 165th birth anniversary of Irish novelist Bram Stoker, by an epitome of his classic gothic novel "Dracula" on its home page.
The latest doodle appeared in tune with Stoker's novel. The letters that make up the word 'Google' are displayed in red, giving the doodle an eerie feel. It also featured Dracula, flashing his fangs, and many other characters of the novel. A crescent-shaped moon and a bat flying overhead Dracula's castle completed the doodle.
Born on Nov 8, 1847, Stoker entered the world of literature with his first novel "The Primrose Path" in 1875. He had authored several books during his lifetime including "The Snake's Pass" and "The Shoulder of Shasta". He is best remembered for creating gothic villain 'Dracula' in 1897.
The epistolary novel did not create much enthusiasm during the first few years after the release. It was only after Stoker's death in 1912 did the book rise to fame. A hundred years since then, his book and the characters in it continue to enthral the world of film and literature.
Stoker inked the character of Dracula after years of research. He studied European folklore and mythological stories of vampires. Before setting off on writing the novel Stoker had met Hungarian writer and traveler Ármin Vámbéry. It was believed that the novel "Dracula" emerged from the dark stories told by Vámbéry.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga