Google Celebrates Bram Stoker's 165th Birthday with 'Dracula' Doodle[PHOTOS]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 8, 2012 6:24 PM EST
Search Giant Google on Thursday celebrated the 165th birth anniversary of Irish novelist Bram Stoker, by an epitome of his classic gothic novel "Dracula" on its home page.
The latest doodle appeared in tune with Stoker's novel. The letters that make up the word 'Google' are displayed in red, giving the doodle an eerie feel. It also featured Dracula, flashing his fangs, and many other characters of the novel. A crescent-shaped moon and a bat flying overhead Dracula's castle completed the doodle.
Born on Nov 8, 1847, Stoker entered the world of literature with his first novel "The Primrose Path" in 1875. He had authored several books during his lifetime including "The Snake's Pass" and "The Shoulder of Shasta". He is best remembered for creating gothic villain 'Dracula' in 1897.
The epistolary novel did not create much enthusiasm during the first few years after the release. It was only after Stoker's death in 1912 did the book rise to fame. A hundred years since then, his book and the characters in it continue to enthral the world of film and literature.
Stoker inked the character of Dracula after years of research. He studied European folklore and mythological stories of vampires. Before setting off on writing the novel Stoker had met Hungarian writer and traveler Ármin Vámbéry. It was believed that the novel "Dracula" emerged from the dark stories told by Vámbéry.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Top 5 Halloween 2014 Costume Ideas For Teen Boys
- Father Spots A Bald Patch On The Lawn Outside His Girls' Bedroom And Gets Shocked At The Reason
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles