Tata Motors shares gain as margins at Jaguar Land Rover improve
November 8, 2012 5:28 PM EST
Shares in India's Tata Motors Ltd
Shares in Tata Motors, which depends on JLR for 90 percent of the group's profit, rose 5.1 percent as of 0607 GMT, and were headed for their biggest gain since September 12. The broader NSE index <.NSEI> was down 0.4 percent.
An improvement in profitability at the luxury British brand will bolster the outlook for India's biggest auto maker, which is facing a tough domestic market for its Tata-branded cars because of a cooling economy.
Margins at JLR increased to 14.8 percent from 14.4 percent a year earlier, Tata Motors said late on Wednesday, in its earnings report.
The auto maker posted a July-September net profit that lagged estimates, but analysts said sturdier margins at JLR and the launch of new Range Rover and Jaguar models bode well for the second half of the year ending March 2013.
Waiting periods in some markets for the new Range Rover model exceed six months, Goldman Sachs said on Thursday in a report, adding that it expects a "strong response" to the new F-type Jaguar model.
Tata Motors was "cautiously optimistic" about JLR's sales potential, while saying pricing and margins appeared to be holding up in China, a key market for the iconic brand, said several analysts, citing a conference call with management after the earnings announcement.
Still, Tata Motors faces a number of challenges ahead, especially in the domestic market where it is suffering from a weaker lineup of models than its rivals, and is being forced to offer discounts and incentives that hurt its margins.
The operating margin for its India business fell to 5.9 percent in July-September from 7.2 percent a year ago.
(Reporting by Rafael Nam and Manoj Dharra; Editing by Ryan Woo)
Join the Conversation
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]