Google Nexus 7 Unveiled for ₹19,999; Will Price Tag Disappoint India?
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | November 8, 2012 5:20 PM EST
Search giant Google made its first venture into the Indian tablet market with the launch of its Nexus 7 on Thursday.
Google Nexus 7 had an international debut earlier in June and received rave reviews for its Jelly Bean OS. The entry of Google's highest-selling tablet to India's burgeoning tablet market was rumoured for quite some time. The announcement came only on Wednesday from technology firm Asus, which manufactures Nexus 7 tablets for Google. The tablet will be priced ₹19,999 onwards.
The Android-running Nexus 7 will be available for purchase through online retailers including HomeShop18, before its official launch in the country. It's reported that the 16 GB W-IFI version Nexus 7 will be the first to hit the Indian market.
Following the announcement of its global debut, 8GB WIFI version of Nexus 7 was presented as the basic version. Google later replaced it with the 16GB model.
Nexus 7 is one of the few devices which run on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean operating system. The device is powered by a 1.3 GHz Nvidia Tegra 3 processor and sports a 7-inch IPS display screen with 1280x800 resolution. Google also recently announced a 32GB variant and a 3G-enabled model.
Will the Price tag Disappoint India?
Anticipating consumers are likely to be disappointed by the hefty price tag attached to Nexus 7. The ₹19,999 price of the 16GB W-IFI version stands far from the original price in terms of dollar conversion.
Consumers were expecting Nexus 7 to fall ₹10,000 and ₹12,000 after currency conversion. Unfortunately, the tablet comes through Asus which is not permitted to make sales at a subsidized cost in India. As a result, Google Nexus 7 will be priced a little higher in the country.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- Manchester United Transfer News: Wilfried Zaha Might Stay After Impressing Van Gaal Against Inter [VIDEO]
- Grimm Season 4 Spoilers: Comic-Con Answers Served, Nick 'Un-Grimmed' Affects His Wesen Friends' Honeymoon
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast