Aussies Beware: Crafty Taxis, Private Hire Cars Use Rogue Smartphone Apps
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | November 8, 2012 5:18 PM EST
Now that focus will gear more towards the fast-approaching Christmas season, the Australian Taxi Industry Association (ATIA) has warned commuters and consumers to refrain from using taxis or private cars for hire that used rogue smartphone apps to promote their services.
Benjamin Wash, ATIA spokesperson, said the busy shopping and shuttling Christmas season is a very much opportune time for unscrupulous people to victimise commuters.
"As we enter a high-volume period, customers may be tempted to use rogue apps, but they will forgo their personal protection in doing so," he said.
"These apps are outside the system and operate in a legal grey area. Anyone can register as a driver and pick up a passenger, including people with mental issues or criminal motives. There are no driver checks, no background checks, no accountability and no records. You don't even have to drive a real taxi. The implications are scary."
To ensure their safety, it would be best for Australian commuters to book for taxis or private cars for hire that are connected to recognised taxi company brands, since they utilise the smartphone taxi apps that are recognised by the Australian government.
Apart from being a great way to book a cab, authorised smartphone taxi apps from recognised taxi companies protect customers since these apps carry the name of the taxi that will pick them up the commuter consumer.
"Taxis are relied upon by business, the disabled, young people and the elderly, among others, to get them to their destinations safely," Mr Wash said, noting taxis in Australia transport two million people each day.
But regardless of the huge number of million they carry, Australia's taxi industry experience less problems.
"This is a direct result of on-going efforts by the industry to improve services and safety," Mr Wash said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola ‘Cruise Ship’: Holidaymakers Furious Organisers Hid the Truth About Dallas Health Care Worker
- Canada Conducts Practice Drill Of Ebola Rapid Response Teams, To Send Experimental VSV-BOV Vaccine To WHO
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- New Zealand Losing $9.4 Billion Every Year to Fraud
- 5 Smartphone Apps For The Workaholic
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored