Aussies Beware: Crafty Taxis, Private Hire Cars Use Rogue Smartphone Apps
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | November 8, 2012 5:18 PM EST
Now that focus will gear more towards the fast-approaching Christmas season, the Australian Taxi Industry Association (ATIA) has warned commuters and consumers to refrain from using taxis or private cars for hire that used rogue smartphone apps to promote their services.
Benjamin Wash, ATIA spokesperson, said the busy shopping and shuttling Christmas season is a very much opportune time for unscrupulous people to victimise commuters.
"As we enter a high-volume period, customers may be tempted to use rogue apps, but they will forgo their personal protection in doing so," he said.
"These apps are outside the system and operate in a legal grey area. Anyone can register as a driver and pick up a passenger, including people with mental issues or criminal motives. There are no driver checks, no background checks, no accountability and no records. You don't even have to drive a real taxi. The implications are scary."
To ensure their safety, it would be best for Australian commuters to book for taxis or private cars for hire that are connected to recognised taxi company brands, since they utilise the smartphone taxi apps that are recognised by the Australian government.
Apart from being a great way to book a cab, authorised smartphone taxi apps from recognised taxi companies protect customers since these apps carry the name of the taxi that will pick them up the commuter consumer.
"Taxis are relied upon by business, the disabled, young people and the elderly, among others, to get them to their destinations safely," Mr Wash said, noting taxis in Australia transport two million people each day.
But regardless of the huge number of million they carry, Australia's taxi industry experience less problems.
"This is a direct result of on-going efforts by the industry to improve services and safety," Mr Wash said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- United Airlines Flight Diverted as Passengers Fought Over Anti-Seat Reclining Device
- ISIS Posts Threats On Twitter, Works Around California Earthquake Hashtags, Pressures US To Respond To #StevensHeadinObamasHands
- Iceland Volcano: Bardarbunga Stricken by 5.7 Magnitude Earthquake But Still No Eruption, Magma Could be Going Elsewhere
- Chicago Marathon Brings Over $253 Million in Business
- New Zealand's High Growth Rate Predicted To Fall When Christchurch Rebuild Halts
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown