Lynas Malaysian Plant Cleared, Wins High Court Approval
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | November 8, 2012 4:39 PM EST
Australian miner Lynas Corp. can finally proceed in finishing the construction of its rare earths processing plant facility in Malaysia after a High Court ruled out the complaint filed by Malaysian activists against the plant.
On Thursday, the High Court said it will not stop Lynas to use its already awarded temporary operating license (TOL) to start the plant at Kuantan.
"The court ruled that our fears are premature because the plant is not in operation yet," coalition leader Tan Bun Tet told The Associated Press. "We are disappointed with the decision but we will appeal. We will fight to the end."
The Malaysian activists filed the application in the High Court on grounds of possible health and environmental hazards that the plant can give off to the local immediate community and residents, despite numerous recommendations and support that the plant will not be hazardous to them.
First granted by the Minister of Science, Technology and Innovation and the Atomic Energy Licensing Board in February this year, Lynas got hold of the highly controversial TOL in September after paciffying a wave of opposition from concerned sectors. When the TOL was released in June, local activists sought another legal action, which is a judicial review of the approval's legality.
"There is no injunction or stay preventing Lynas from carrying out its operations at its Malaysian plant," the rare earths miner said in a statement to the Australian Securities Exchange on Thursday.
Shares of Lynas were earlier placed in a trading halt pending an announcement regarding the High Court decision. It last traded at 72 cents.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide
- US And Australia Share Visa And Immigration Information
- Finally, OnePlus One Can Be Purchased Without An Invite; Pre-Order Starts From October